My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I have been working on a B&S Intek 121602-0190-E1. It has the primer bulb on the carb assembly.

I cleaned the carb, etc., etc., etc......... Now I have a surging issue. I took it back apart and realized the gasket between the air cleaner assembly and the carb itself had split. It ran steady, but poorly before.

I figure if a split primer bulb can cause no start/running problems, that small gasket can do the same.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Yes. A small vacuum leak in the gasket would cause the surging. You are right on track.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Did you replace all the gaskets with new ones or use old gaskets anywhere else?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I reused the old gaskets, but they were in good shape and barely torqued down. They were also clean and adhered to the block so all should be good there. It was just the one gasket, but I am replacing the primer to carb gasket as well as the carb mounting gasket. That should take care of any air leaks......I hope.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
OK, but if problems persist, reconsider them gaskets as they form a memory and if they are a little misaligned, you'll still get those vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gaskets are usually cheap and worth the money. I buy the gaskets to prevent the headaches later. The old ones may look good to eye when they are actually worn out.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Gaskets are usually cheap and worth the money. I buy the gaskets to prevent the headaches later. The old ones may look good to eye when they are actually worn out.
:ditto: for as cheap as they are you might as well

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well....sadly, not much set time at all. Raining every three to four hours here. I may get to move a few of the tractors around but that's about it.

The Intek is actually on a Scotts walk behind. There are other issues with it, but at least it runs......now if the guy will come get it to use it. (It was a freebie for him and I did the work "pro-bono")

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I adjusted the valves....replaced the plug....rebuilt the carb...replaced the gaskets....and power washed it. My friend called to say he is going to come pick it up so he can mow before vacation, so I go outside to fire it up one last time.

I pulled four times and like magic......the dang pull start rope broke!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:.

I had to loan him my high wheel Poulan pusher that is dependable as the day is long so he could mow. Now I am seriously thinking of just replacing the engine with another one I have here from a donor. I've only not been able to fix two engines ever on a mower. One had issues from the start on a rider and now this one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts