My Lawnmower Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you're like me and appreciate the opportunity to implement a strategy when and where applicable to eliminate an unnecessary step, then this will apply to you.

I have to admit, I've always felt that having to completely clean off the blade attachment bolt(s) each and every time you removed them was a bit of nuisance. More often than not, they will usually be completely hidden with a nice layer of grass that's wrapped around them like a strong vice. In some cases this will mean you'll have to poke around with a flat head screw driver first until you find their exact location(s). Next a wire brush is applied to clean around every side and corner of the hex head(s) until you have a near 100% clean surface area. This can take some time if the the blades haven't been off in a while and or the deck hasn't been kept up underneath. Regardless, if the bolt head(s) are not anywhere near spotless, you risk the possibility of rounding the head off or not being able to get the right size socket on which can quickly turn a two minute project into an afternoon.

To eliminate the unnecessary step, wrap a piece of masking or duct tape around the head once the blade is sharped and tightened back down to the mower. Simply laying a piece of tape right over the head and onto the blade itself is not going to cut it. It needs to be wrapped tightly around the head of the bolt itself in order for it to stay. The next time you need to remove the blade, simply peal the tape away from the head and you'll have a perfectly clean bolt head to work with.

Disclaimer: This is NOT a substitute for disregarding the task of cleaning the underside of your mowing deck. You should still always periodically clean it out to prevent rust from forming and allow it to operate efficiently. As always, when working on your mower, detatch the spark plug wire and turn the mower on the side with the air cleaner facing up to prevent oil ingestion.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.