My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the season is here and everyone is busy with family and running around trying to get everything done by Christmas. Every once in a while we get a chance to "Smell The Roses" and enjoy the Christmas light displays that people so much enjoy putting up this time of year. If you come across something you would like to share with the community, take a few pictures and share them here. Ill start it off with our Christmas helicopter that we put out every year.

This is an actual OH58A+ Kiowa helicopter non-flier that we use strictly for display. We would fly it on Christmas Eve but we haven't found an extension cord long enough yet...

No Rules, just have fun and enjoy the season!

·
Premium Member
7,359 Posts
Now that would be the coolest thing to see in the sky all lit up! Can you imagine the crouds it would draw? That is a really neat display you put out. :)

If there was some way to vent the fumes, maybe you could mount a small generator inside to run the power from?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine has a 24v starter/generator and its nothing to hook up a power inverter for 120v. The bird is so far timed out its not funny. The rotor blades are actually 2x4s on edge and the tail rotor is a 1x6 painted. The engine is obsolete and the interior has been gutted from cannibalization to supply our other 3 helos. Its strictly a static display. We did put it on a trailer one year in a parade and we did use a little genny to supply the power. :) You could never fly anything with stuff attached to the outside anyways with the risk of anything coming off and going into the tail rotor could have catastrophic results. But it would look cool flying along all lit up! :)

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Very festive. It's always fun to see how different places do lights that fit what it is they do.

(Ya' know FP, if you and I show up early to set up the next TAA meeting, there's a good chance the donuts will be gone before anybody else gets there!:D)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Cutting back some this year! I made the cutouts & the sleigh. The "inflatables" we've gotten over several years. Try to change things around some each year. Tree is getting about as high as I can reach with an extendable pole.

Used to put one of two-cylinder's out front with an 8' green sleigh behind it w/chaser lights on the wheels. Until one morning we found a bunch of beer cans & cartons in the yard & 5 gallons of gas missing from the tractor! ~~ grnspot

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nice! I sense a little Dalmatian theme here. :)
29 years as a paid firefighter (now retired), have had a "Dal" around for nearly that long. 3rd (Chief, 7 years old) & 4th (Dottie, 9 months, in first pic) here now, great friends! ~~ grnspot

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a pretty neat history, and BTW, thank you for your service as a firefighter (Paid or Not) you still put your life on the line everyday! :cool

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.