My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon everyone I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice on a riding lawn mower that I'm trying to repair for a friend. It is a Chraftsman Lt 1000 it has a 16 hp Briggs and Stratton Engine on it. (Model #283H07 Type #0399E1 Code #050609ZE) The mower is several years old and has been taken care of fairly well. The following have been replaced: Air Filter, Spark Plug, Fuel Filter, and New fuel in tank with old fuel drained out. The issue I'm having is the idle just randomly starts going up and down, the only way to get it to level out when it does so is to put the choke to it. I have not been able to diagnose when and when not it will do this, it just randomly does so. I have checked the fuel cap to be sure the vent was clean. I have sprayed carb cleaner around the edges of the carb to check for an air leak, I did not find one. I also cleaned the carb bowl out and the lower portion of the carb out...Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go next???

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
yes....u prolly got some blockage in the gas jet...remove the entire carb....disassemble...blow air (regulated low pressure) through the gas passage jets..(watch for the float needle seat....do not blow air through this passage of gas feedin the carb)
if u never have done this....get someone to help u (blow clean) the carb & then make sure u reinstall it right....(guess it pays to have a good memory when u remove parts of any engine)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice.. Between cleaning the carb out well, adjusting some on the carb, and removing an extra screen that was in front of the actual air filter (like a pre filter) it cleared it right up..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts