My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was browsing some classifieds today in my on-going quest for the "perfect" large frame (I'm sorry Bruce, my indecisiveness has gotten in the way at times on some machines :sidelaugh) and I came across this cool hot rod.

Every now and then you'll see a small block 350 shoehorned into a GT and while as cool as that is, it really just turns it into more of a show piece than anything else. This on the other hand, to me, has the ability to be as functional as stock if the swap was done right. Kind of like swapping in a 460 in place of a 351, so to speak. I just wonder how the hydro trans holds up to that power and or how long it will.

The tractor also appears to not be the 1476 model that he states it is. It appears to be a longer 1886 or HT of course my eyes could be playing tricks too and I'm not seeing what I think I'm seeing.

In any case, I wrote the seller to see if he could provide some more info and photos. Will post up later if I get a response.

bolens 14/76 tractor big frame

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
SWEET!! BUY it!! You need cool tractor to go with truck!!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it was 6:00 here and 8:00 in Wisconsin, maybe a little late for calling but figured why not.

Any way, the gentleman picked up and we talked for a long time. Real nice guy. It's an interesting machine for sure.

He purchased it from the guy that did the engine swap so he did not do it himself. It sounds like he purchased it at a show where it caught his eye. He said that it has had a nut and bolt restoration and everything was done nicely. The restorer wanted the hood to close with this engine so notches on either side of the hood were made as you can see in the photos. When he got it, it did not have any hydraulics. He said that he owns lots of Bolens tractors and several parts so he installed the hydraulics and the blade. The bad news is that it does not have a PTO so it cannot run implements that require it like a mowing deck which to me is a priority. He does think that a PTO could be modified somehow to work with this engine but has not looked into doing it to see what it would take. He suggested using a pull behind engine powered mower for mowing. The tractor does not have a 3 point on it either. I did get the impression that it is more made for show than for use however.

He said that the engine runs smooth and quite and has been completely rebuilt. It only has a 1 gallon fuel tank and admitted that with an engine this large, you're not going to last all day on a tank of fuel. The engine is around 40HP. I asked about how the hydro trans is holding up and how it handles the power. He said that because the engine makes so much more torque, you don't need to wind it out very far and believes that it puts less strain on the trans. He has used it some for plowing snow and said it works well for that.

In the next couple of days he's going to send me some additional photos. I'll post them here.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Um where is the Black Ford?? I await pictures of the tractor IN the Black Ford! :sidelaugh :idea: :sorry::dunno::bag::help:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I am sorry, I have an issue with spending HIS money! ;)

Reactions: Austen
1 - 9 of 9 Posts