My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. The belt on my old 22043 (cira 1992) split and needs to be replaced. I have the new belt in hand but can't figure out how to get it on. I can't slip the belt over the pulley idler because the arm is in the way. Turning the bolt that goes through the idler spins the locknut on top of the idler. I can't see it the locknut, but it feels rounded. Maybe it's so rusted and/or dirty that I can't feel the corners anymore? Any other ideas for getting the belt on? I'm afraid of taking off the whole blade brake clutch assembly off because I've heard it's a pain to get back together.

Here's an exploded view of the parts:

Parts and Diagrams for Toro Commercial 22043, Lawnmower, 1992 (SN 2000001-2999999)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Ok I cant tell but do you have a manual (lever) to turn the blades on or a eletric (switch)??

On the manual it sould be easy as can be, I can do my Craftsman with no tools.

If its eletric there should be a tention pulley on a spring or what not that you can move to make it easier to put the belt on, kinda like a single belt on a new car. Thats how my Snapper is, and trust me between the mule drive and the tention pulley it gets a "blessing" when I have to repalce it

BTW :welcome: to our lil forum :howdy:

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Welcome to MLMF nabalfunar. I've read that those contraptions can be sort of fiddly too. Is there any chance that the brake can be pulled back far enough to get the belt out?

I looked around and found this. It doesn't specifically mention the commercial model, but does talk about the Recycler BBC. You have to scroll down quite a bit, it's on page 6-20.

Toro Service Manual

Don't know if that'll help any, or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The locknut on top of the idler was indeed just rusty and dirty. I was able to clean it well enough to force a wrench on it and get the bolt out. That got the arm out of the way and allowed me to get the belt on no problem. My local shop wanted $89 to change the belt. I did it myself in about 20 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.