My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
craftman 1972 46" rider / kohler mv18s engine /walbro whg carb

it will not start. was working fine, used weekly

when i pour gas down from air cleaner it starts and runs fine until that small amount of gas is gone
gas is being pumped from the fuel pump...tested by disconnecting the fuel line to carb...start attempt produced fuel from fuel pump.
bowl always has fuel, replaced rubber O seal for the bowl
cleaned the carb, used fine wire to make sure ports were clear...tested by blowing through them, air is passing through.

the thing i find curious that when i try to start. it does not cough, choke. burp or stutter in any way, it is turning over but it is not getting any gas...

please help a dazed and confused old man out

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Welcome! Have you tested the float and needle for possible issue like stuck shut? Sounds like you covered most common issues!

Reactions: tiretrx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i was leaning toward replacing both....just because there is not much left....just for my own curiosity, how do floats fail ?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
had the same issue on a briggs intek on a leaf blower, there was a buildup of gel from where the fuel line went in all the way down to the needle which was making it so the bowl wouldnt fill. cleaned it with carb cleaner and its clear now but still needs a needle seat

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm not familiar with your vintage Kohler eng...But wonder if the problem can be clogged main jet, choke butterfly failing to fully close, or [?] a antibackfire solenoid not working..? If it has a solenoid, verify it gets 12v with key on...[and also in start position]...and see if you can hear or feel the plunger working...This is assuming your "bowl always has fuel" is indeed the carb bowl that your speaking of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
had the same issue on a briggs intek on a leaf blower, there was a buildup of gel from where the fuel line went in all the way down to the needle which was making it so the bowl wouldnt fill. cleaned it with carb cleaner and its clear now but still needs a needle seat
this is very old mower. in the past 6 months i have replaced the fuel lines...but i am not sure what a needle seat is

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not familiar with your vintage Kohler eng...But wonder if the problem can be clogged main jet, choke butterfly failing to fully close, or [?] a antibackfire solenoid not working..? If it has a solenoid, verify it gets 12v with key on...[and also in start position]...and see if you can hear or feel the plunger working...This is assuming your "bowl always has fuel" is indeed the carb bowl that your speaking of.
when i pour fuel into the top the carb ( from air intake ) and it start,s the choke works so i am assuming the butterfly is too...

a month before this trouble i had the solenoid replaced. the term "antibackfire solenoid" is totally new to me...."plunger" is also. i really want to guess here, but fear of a show of ignorance prevents me.

i have had a mild stroke....me being here is my way of saying i am freakin tired of not taking care what i once did.... i hope i am not overly exasperating to anyone here

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Not the case at all, Steven. We ALL go through the learning curve. There's no need to hold back here for fear of looking ignorant or otherwise.

I'm thinking the carb is clogged somewhere. :dunno: When you cleaned it, did you remove it and soak it? Another thing that I've seen numerous times is that the hole the needle goes in gets oxidation and the needle gets stuck closed. I take a small piece of scotch brite(fine) and twist it in the hole with a bit of WD and that smooths it out nice. If your float was leaking I would be expecting you to be over running with fuel, not starving for it. I would say, take the time and check over the things mentioned in the thread and let us know what happens :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
the needle seat is a little peice of rubber that deteriorates with age. it regulates the amount of fuel that gets in the carb bowl and helps preventing the carburetor from over filling. if this is clogged or deteriorated the carb will not fill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts