My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Heres a pic of the carb linkage on the 3.5hp Briggs on my 78 Snapper self propelled mower. I just wanted to see if you guys could tell me if everything is kosher with it? The spring linking the throttle cable linkage to the actual throttle seems a little odd to me. I was curious because it starts and runs fine, but if i back the throttle lever back close to half way, it will shut off like its running out of fuel. If I go back to about 1/4 throttle with the lever, it hits the kill switch and dies instantly. Is this normal? The pic was taken with the lever at full throttle/start (throttle cable is in the far left of the pic).

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Look at this video. I don't recommend stretching the spring like this guy says, but it does look like the connection between the governor lever and carb on yours is backwards from the one in the video.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'll try straightening that link out this evening and get everything on the right way. I'm guessing the engine would have started "wandering" once I got into tall grass with every thing hooked up the way it is right now without any spring tension on the governor arm

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
It just looks like that link needs to be removed and turned around 180° so that the part that's hooked in the governor arm is in the throttle arm, and the part that's in the throttle arm goes into the governor arm. Then see how the spring looks. I don't think anything needs to be straightened out. Look closer at the video and pull up the parts diagram for your engine to see how it's orinented.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it needs to be rotated 180. Judging by the video and some others I found, that long piece of the link should be perfectly straight, where as mine looks tweeked a little bit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like that isn't the right spring for mine. I straightened the link out and flipped it 180, but the spring already has a lot of tension on it even in the idle position. So much in fact that the throttle does not return to the stop position unless I force it with my finger. Also looks like the arm on my throttle cable link that the other end of the governor spring hooks to was tweeked so I straightened that out too

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well guys, I had to order the correct governor spring for it last weekend. Finally got it in and everything back together on saturday. She does pretty good for a 35 yr. old mower:) Now I can back the throttle down almost to the stop position and she will still keep chugging away. My only gripes are, it seems to chew through gas quicker than the techumseh on my lawn boy ( to be fair, the snappers tank is smaller though, so maybe it just seems that way), and I wish the bag was bigger. Time to find a used pac n sac I guess:)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Good deal!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts