My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thirty some years ago, maybe longer, I purchased a small Kawasaki Generator. It sat on a shelf in the garage until two years ago. (never used) Then I got it started and used it at a cabin. Now it will not start because the carb bowl leaks. I removed the bowl and took it to a dozen (maybe) shops to get an "O" ring to fit. No Luck! Kawasaki FA76D 1000 Watt Generator with Mikuni Corp carb.

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Thirty some years ago, maybe longer, I purchased a small Kawasaki Generator. It sat on a shelf in the garage until two years ago. (never used) Then I got it started and used it at a cabin. Now it will not start because the carb bowl leaks. I removed the bowl and took it to a dozen (maybe) shops to get an "O" ring to fit. No Luck! Kawasaki FA76D 1000 Watt Generator with Mikuni Corp carb.
Finding parts can be a challenge for sure. Could this be what you need?

· Registered
3 Posts
O rings are a "commodity" item. That is there are many standard sizes available. It is unusual for a manufacturer to use one that isn't one of the standard sizes. You may need an O ring expert, not someone at a parts store to help. Parker and many others make standard O rings. There is also Apple Rubber who makes standard O rings as well a specialty sizes of all types. You will need a micrometer and/or a vernier to measure the O ring that you need. The critical dimension is the inside diameter. The best way to do that is using the conical tool that NAPA stores have and then measure where it goes on the part being sealed. This can be tricky as sometimes O rings are slightly stretched on installation. The other necessary dimension is the crossection. There are difficulties here also. For example, O rings that are listed as being a nominal 1/16" crossection are usually .070" when measured. I'm posting this as, more often than not, the O ring you need is available at NAPA etc. They just don't have the expertise to get you the right one and the equipment manufacturers want you to pay many time what the O ring is worth by claiming that it is unique to their product.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your expertise. I have a local NAPA just a mile or two away. The counterman was very helpful. I brought along the bowl to match it up. He brought out a box of various size "O" rings. Nothing came close. I ordered the part as bwdbrn1 suggested.(waiting a week so far and no tracking#) The other small engine repair shops in my area did not even look! --- Thanks

· Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your expertise. I have a local NAPA just a mile or two away. The counterman was very helpful. I brought along the bowl to match it up. He brought out a box of various size "O" rings. Nothing came close. I ordered the part as bwdbrn1 suggested.(waiting a week so far and no tracking#) The other small engine repair shops in my area did not even look! --- Thanks
I did a quick internet search about o rings. Here's a link to too much information about o rings.
O-Ring Size Chart for U.S. & Metric Standard Sizes
I've got years and years of experience with o rings and other seals. There's virtually no way that I can give all the experience you need via the internet. You need a local expert who can look at your parts and quickly solve your problem. Find an hydraulic equipment repair shop. With a little luck, they may look kindly on a non-commercial customer in need of help, assistance and guidance.

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
I sure hope your order shows up soon.

· Registered
6 Posts
I sure hope your order shows up soon.
O-Ring stock material is available. I get mine from McMaster-Carr. I get the diameter I need, cut it to size and super-glue the ends together. It works for me for carb o-rings. It is available in square cross section too, inch and metric sizes. It is only good for one use, though, as the super glue does not endure the gasoline.

· Registered
3 Posts
O-Ring stock material is available. I get mine from McMaster-Carr. I get the diameter I need, cut it to size and super-glue the ends together. It works for me for carb o-rings. It is available in square cross section too, inch and metric sizes. It is only good for one use, though, as the super glue does not endure the gasoline.
A reasonable solution for a low pressure application like a carb. Coating the glued O ring with a heavy silicone based grease may extend the life of the super glue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts