My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 587 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys! There's been a few auto threads lately that have been fun, so I figure a general road machine thread was in order. Show us what you drive, what you passed or passed you on the highway, big rigs, Cab Over or Conventionals, pickup trucks, new ones, late models or classics. Whatever strikes your fancy, it's all good here! It's also cool to show off memorabilia, old advertisements, books, models, anything goes as long as it's on the automotive topic! :2th:

I'll start, here's a couple photos. 1st is a vintage Selden Commercial Trucks advertisement that my FIL bought for me. Sears and Roebucks had a bunch of them in their fleet. The companies namesake, George Baldwin Selden, was a Patent Attorney. He was best known for taking a patent out on internal combustion vehicles, the year was 1895. All manufacturers had to pay royalties to build an automobile and truck that were to be powered by an internal combustion engine.

The 2nd picture is a brass Selden badge that was on a trucks running board. My wife's late grandfather took it off a truck in a wrecking yard a loooong time ago when he was a kid. He told me the truck had hard rubber tires and chain driven. He didn't recognize the name but liked the brass plate and figured it was worth removing it. He left it to me with many other automotive tid bits that I'll post up another time.

Have at it guys, the more the merrier! :wwp:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Great idea for a thread, Mike! This will be a lot of fun. :ThumbUp:
That's some neat memorabilia you have related to Selden trucks. I especially like the brass plate and could see that being a nice piece in the house. I'm not too familiar with these trucks so thanks for providing some history. :2th:

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I'm probably not the only one here that remembers milk being home delivered in glass bottles to an insulated box by the front door or hand delivered if you were home. Some of the guys even had keys to the customer's home and delivered right to the fridge. Then they picked up the empty glass bottles and took them back to be refilled. I was just a little guy at the time but thought the delivery truck was neat mainly because the driver could stand up to drive it! I found some photos on the net of the old Divco trucks that may bring back some memories for some. :2th:

Click for larger image:

DivcoMilkTruck.jpg

DivcoMilkTruck2.jpg

DivcoMilkTruck3.jpg

More: Divco, the Milk Truck

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sweet! My other favorite thing is Auto related! ;) I have a passion for supped up big rigs. My neighbor drives a truck that was done up real nice be the fleet he works for. Big stacks and loud jake! Neon lights inside and lite up like a Christmas tree!
Here is one I'd go to work in!
VIDEO: Custom Peterbilt Convertible Truck | CDLLife

Here is my neighbors truck, one on left. He backs it down his driveway with the tanker! He is good!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Mark, I'm sorry to say I'm old enough to remember those milk trucks! On Sundays we'd visit my grandparents across town, both my Mom and Dad's folks lived off the same main road. Nelson's Dairy was right across the street from my Dad's folks. We'd get a quarter and run across and get a quart of chocolate milk, glass bottle with foil cap. Great memories....

Eric, you'd drive it to work on the nice warm clear sky days, right! LOL. That's one of the most extreme custom rigs I've ever seen, a convertible Pete, Wow!

I'm a big fan of the big rigs too, my Dad, Pepere and a bunch of uncles were Teamsters back in the day. I have a Class B CDL and drove for a beverage distributor and a lumber yard. The lumber yard had Louisville Fords and one old Ford Cabover. The beverage company was regular utilitarian IH fleet box trucks. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of the tri axle boom truck or a roll off I drove later on.

Your neighbors rig is a beauty too, very pretty KW!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I like pretty much anything with a engine! Here is the nasty Tesla AWD!

Reactions: BOSOX

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
While I can remember those milk trucks that you guys mentioned, I remember a different kind of milk truck. I grew up on a dairy farm, and the milk trucks we saw were like this one, picking it up instead of dropping it off.

I was always fascinated by them. They'd back up to the barn and then because the milk inside was sloshing, the truck would sort of rock back and forth while parked.

1972_mack_rd688s_99019633634031426.jpg

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eric, I think I mentioned to you that I drove a 14' Tesla Model S sedan that my BIL took delivery of back in August. I've driven it a couple times actually :D. The car is like speeding in a bank vault, stupid fast and almost silent to my ears. Handles very well, and really comfortable ride. He (my BIL) test drove the one in the video a month ago and was considering trading up, but decided not to. Really nice cars the Model S, but big check book required to get one!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
That thing is AWD!! Guess it launches like a bullet!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AWD = Instant traction, step on the accelerator and the car goes! Amazing what happens when all the power hits the road with no wheel spin. That video, and many more, amaze me that the guys filming are tearing it up on public streets and highways. I did a fair amount of street racing way back when, some rapid highway entrance and exits. I don' think I'd do it now for fear of a collision or worse! Too much to lose....

I'd love to go and race something at the Bonneville Salt Flats someday, or at least attend a Speed Week event. There's an event in Maine,( lta-lsr ) Loring Timing Association, that I plan to attend at some point, long ride near Canadian border.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I'm probably not the only one here that remembers milk being home delivered in glass bottles to an insulated box by the front door or hand delivered if you were home. Some of the guys even had keys to the customer's home and delivered right to the fridge. Then they picked up the empty glass bottles and took them back to be refilled. I was just a little guy at the time but thought the delivery truck was neat mainly because the driver could stand up to drive it! I found some photos on the net of the old Divco trucks that may bring back some memories for some. :2th:

Click for larger image:

View attachment 20930

View attachment 20938

View attachment 20946

More: Divco, the Milk Truck
Old milk trucks are cool. They have a particular design that you don't mistake for anything else.

Eric, if you're not already, subscribe to "Big Rig Videos" on YouTube. He does rolling CB interviews most of which are of customized trucks.

I used to love reading the book "Big Rigs" by Hope Irvin Marston when I was a kid. I would always check it out in elementary school when my class would have library day. She also made a newer one as well pictured here.

Another one of my favorite books when I was a kid. I always wanted to get as close as I could to operating this kind of stuff so literature like this was the next best thing to actually being able to do it.

I would always ask my Mom to order brochures from all the semi truck and heavy equipment manufactures as I loved reading and looking at them. Also would ask her to see if we could get keys to them for my collection and typically they would donate some old ones along with the brochures.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Austen already do! Also go to CDL Life web site a lot. I don't Technically drive a big truck. I come close with the flat bed!
I always loved big rigs, would watch trick my truck and such shows. I always seen nice rigs while I drove on my job. Then my Neighbor Rob moved in. He owned a few trucks and was owner operator. Guess the down turn made him sell out and go into local trucking fleets. He has pick of jobs as he has all endorsements and many years experience!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Reactions: Austen

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Gosh, all this talk of high powered cars and trucks, and remembering when sort of stuff, made me think back to my very first car. Now there was a real power house of automotive mechanics at it's best.

1970 Dodge Dart Swinger!

Huh, huh, got ya' going don't I?

2 door hard top in burnt orange with black vinyl top. Bench seat up front, AM radio with one speaker in the dash. Windows you cranked by hand! Can you imagine? Even better, the windshield washer was a bulb on the floor that you pushed with your foot to squirt the water onto the windshield. Here's another thing we old timers will remember. High and low beams were changed by pushing a button on the floor board, and high beam was indicated by a red light in the dash.

Now here's the part that will set your hearts aflutter.

225 cubic inches, 6 cylinders of raw power delivered to skinny bias ply tires through a three speed automatic transmission with shifter on the column! Fuel fed to that throbbing beast of a slant 6 via a single barreled Holley carb! Boy Oh Boy, and plugs, condenser and points you could actually get to and replace yourself. Timing, no problem, just shine the timing light down there, twist the distributor, line up the marks, tighten sown the distributor and you were good to go.

I dressed her up with 14" American Racing aluminum slots. D70 series tires out front and F60 series on back. Of course, to stuff those monster tires under the fenders in back I had to bolt on a pair of Monroe air shocks in the back and to level it up and make it a corner hugger, coil overs in the front.

Yanked out the bench seat and replaced them with a pair of buckets from a Dodge Challenger, and a set of hood pins to contain all those galloping ponies from jumping out and scaring little old ladies on Sunday. The "Rim Blow" steering wheel was lost to a 12" three spoke racing wheel. Not easy steering in a parking lot without power steering, and power brakes? We don't need no stinking power brakes, just push harder to get those four drums to drag you to a stop. Yep, nothing high tech in this baby. Just basic transportation the likes of which you will not find in today's automotive world.

Took a trip out east with it once and stopped at a gas station in West Virginia. This was back when they actually pumped your gas for you, (remember that?) and the kid asked if I wanted him to check the oil. I said sure, and when he opened the hood, he stepped back, looked at the outside of the car again, and said to me, "I was kind of surprised to see that, I was expecting something else under here." I said, "Hey, don't let it fool you, it'll will chirp those tires on asphalt on a hot day."

If I could find me another one of those old Darts, I'd buy it in a minute.

So, what was your first car?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Bruce , my first car was such a beast! It was a...................1971 VW Beetle!! All 1600cc of raw HP! Think she dyno'ed at 60HP! LOL :) Dad rebuilt the engine and made it a 1641cc and made sure to set throttle cable to only open to 1/4 throttle! I had to learn to drive without power! Then he "discovered" his error. Really did feel like I gained 20 HP! It was repainted by dad to be black up front and a lightening bolt and red back side!!! Had a header with glass pack. Sounded so nice!!

Reactions: BOSOX and bwdbrn1

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Just basic transportation the likes of which you will not find in today's automotive world.
And that's why 'old' cars or so much fun. :)

Neat story and remembrances, Bruce. That was a fun read and I could picture it as you described it in detail. It's cool that you can remember everything about that car and what it was like to own. I know those slant 6's are bulletproof engines. It seems like air shocks were a big thing when it came to modifications back then. I rememeber my Dad mentioning he did this to a couple of his too.

As much as I can appreciate the technology in cars today, there is just not the same involvement that you get with an old car as you outlined. For an auto enthusiast that wants to the closet intimacy (I know, probably the wrong word) as possible that they can get with their car, I find that the more basic technology is the answer to that. You are the driver and you have to respond to your car's needs in every way. If you want something out of your car, you have to work for it and that's what I like. "Nannies", as many auto aficionados refer to them as, have to be out the picture completely in order for that to happen despite their positive intentions.

Bruce , my first car was such a beast! It was a...................1971 VW Beetle!! All 1600cc of raw HP! Think she dyno'ed at 60HP! LOL :) Dad rebuilt the engine and made it a 1641cc and made sure to set throttle cable to only open to 1/4 throttle! I had to learn to drive without power! Then he "discovered" his error. Really did feel like I gained 20 HP! It was repainted by dad to be black up front and a lightening bolt and red back side!!! Had a header with glass pack. Sounded so nice!!
I'll bet that was a fun car! I can't imagine a 1/4 throttle in one though- yikes! I'll bet once that was "fixed" it was fun to drive with the bored out motor. I'll bet it sounded like it belonged in the sand dunes too with that exhaust. Any pics?

So, what was your first car?
Probably most here already know what mine was so I won't get carried away but it was a 1976 Datsun 280Z- "Silver Bullet."

My parents bought it off of Ebay site unseen for $500 for my 14th birthday. It was very much a project and the plan was to fix it all up before I turned 16. We did everything from putting a new motor in it to repainting it and going through the interior. It was a fun car to drive through high school and have a lot of memories in it. What an unforgiving car to drive. When I moved away to college for a while, I parked it in the garage for about a year and then sold it. I miss it but not to the point that I wish I still had it. I picture myself owning another S30 someday in the future though.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Austen, always was impressed you learn to drive in one of the best sports cars of its time! Found some pictures I scanned in. Only found one of the lightening paint job just after the paint cured! Needed bumpers on it. The others are of the rebuilt engine and the first paint job it had. We got it as a yellow wreck. Front end collision. Was my uncles that passed away. Bought it back from *********** that wrecked it, think he was drunk!

1 - 20 of 587 Posts