My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently inherited a STX38 and have the following problem. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated, as I dont have the $ to bring to the shop.

The motor purrs, but I can't get it into gear. The gear lever move freely from reverse to fifth gear without the clutch engaged. Wanting to use this as a learning experience, I replaced what seemed like a worn gear drive belt. This did not help and hence why I am writing today. Can anyone give me any direction on what else could be causing this issue? Is there a way to track down a repair manual for real cheap too?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
So I recently inherited a STX38 and have the following problem. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated, as I dont have the $ to bring to the shop.

The motor purrs, but I can't get it into gear. The gear lever move freely from reverse to fifth gear without the clutch engaged. Wanting to use this as a learning experience, I replaced what seemed like a worn gear drive belt. This did not help and hence why I am writing today. Can anyone give me any direction on what else could be causing this issue? Is there a way to track down a repair manual for real cheap too?
Welcome to MLF!

It sounds like it's either a part that is in the linkage is missing or broke ,or, something is broken in the transmission itself. Before assuming the latter, I would take a good look underneath and see what could be causing the lever to move freely. Is everything intact, no loose hardware etc etc is what I would be looking for.

JD does offer manuals, but I think in order to view them electronically, you have to pay for them. John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Equipment List

I did look around on the net a bit more for a downloadable service manual for the STX, but did not find one. I will post one up if I do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
John Deere parts manual

Go to (johndeere.com) then You will have to read the choices. Click on agriculture, then click on residencial. Then You will be asked to sign in, or sign up, there is no cost. Now You should be at a parts invitory page. Look alittle to the left of center on this page & You will see a place to enter the mower name sutch as STX Black Deck. Scrool thru and look around.
Hope this Helps1 I'll be watching.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tony

I too have just received a old mower with transmission pbms. JD SX95. The motor is a great 12.5 kaw but there is a hole in the transmission and it will not move. I found a used transmission for 200.00 plus shipping. I dont know whether to use the motor on another rider or buy the used one. I havnt had much luck finding parts for these john deere rear motor riders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts