My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, new guy here.

I have a Craftsman T7800 Pro Series tractor that I bought a little over 5 years ago. I do my best to take good care of it.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Lawn mower Automotive tire

Late last season, I attempted to change the blades. They were rusted on, I couldn't get them off no matter how hard I tried with an impact gun and even a breaker bar.

So earlier this season, I replaced the spindles, the blades (sharp) and the belt. Shortly after that, I noticed that it was cutting uneven, leaving ridges. Here's some examples:
Natural environment Plant Vegetation Grassland Agriculture

Plant Green People in nature Grass Land lot

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Branch People in nature

I checked and double checked the mower deck height, the spindle height, the blade tips being level and even, the tire pressure, etc. Everything seems fine.

Then, the other day I had the mower turned around in my shed and I noticed that it was sitting with a tilt toward the port side.
Tire Wheel Grille Car Vehicle

I never noticed it before so I put a level against the bottom of the frame rails in the front and sure enough, the bubble was showing that the frame is on an angle:
Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

And on top of the frame rails in the rear:
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

I thought it might be my shed settling a bit so I pulled the tractor into my garage which has a level concrete floor. Slight improvement but not much at all.

So...that's the story...here's the questions:
  1. Is it normal for the tractor to sit on an angle like that? Could my frame be bent?
  2. Could it be contributing to my uneven mowing issue? Or is that something else? If something else...any ideas? Surely I don't have herculean strength and bent the frame or the deck when I was using the breaker bar...
I am just striking out here...I tried everything that can think of and I am looking at all solutions to trying to fix this uneven cutting so any assistance anyone can provide.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wouldn't worry about level. If the mower is setting on a flat surface (level or not) and the blade tips are are the same distance from that surface the cut should be good. It's not uncommon for the mower to roll over a little in a turn like around the tree. You could check to make sure the blade tips are even where they meet in the center of the deck.
Cannon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't worry about level. If the mower is setting on a flat surface (level or not) and the blade tips are are the same distance from that surface the cut should be good. It's not uncommon for the mower to roll over a little in a turn like around the tree. You could check to make sure the blade tips are even where they meet in the center of the deck.
Cannon
Thanks for the reply. I did check the blade tips there they meet. One tip is around 1/8" higher than another, but otherwise they are pretty close.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Are the tire pressures where they need to be? Mine are 13 psi in front and 10 psi in the rear, your manual states the inflation.pressures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts