My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looks like an ancient Morrison putting green reel mower. Note the distinctive handlebar arrangement.

Here's a newer style Morrison:

Here are newer ones with the front grass catcher:

They even made battery-powered ones:

Reactions: Grunt and Big Ed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like an ancient Morrison putting green reel mower. Note the distinctive handlebar arrangement.

Here's a newer style Morrison:

Here are newer ones with the front grass catcher:

They even made battery-powered ones:
You think the battery is large enough? lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
tabora..........can you place an approximate year of build on them?
50's? 60's?
Per a historian from Tasmania:

Morrison was, arguably, New Zealand's most innovative lawn mower manufacturer.
Typical of these mower maker stories, Sidney Morrison founded Morrison Motor Mowers Ltd
in a garden shed and garage on Karamu Road, Hastings, in the early 1930s. Atypically, he
was a mechanical engineer, with the technical capacity and engineering know-how to
produce many innovative products.

It would appear that the first motor mowers appeared in the late 1930s, just before the
outbreak of WWII. The earliest NZ ad I have dates from 1940. The models sold in Australia,
however, were based on a post WWII design that was sold in NZ, I think, from about 1945.

Morrison was, perhaps, the greatest of the New Zealand garden machinery manufacturers. However, a Morrison reel mower was made here (Australia) in the 1950s. I should add that Morrison machines and
modified variants have also been sold here as Victa Imperials and the Turner-Morrisons of the
1960s and 1970s. Morrison has also had an association here in their own right, and as a child
of the parent company in the 1986 takeover of Morrison by Masport. Today, the name survives on Masport branded machines.

Reactions: Big Ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have just been told that my mower is an Atco B14 from the 1970s.
Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have just been told that my mower is an Atco B14 from the 1970s.
Awesome, good to have a positive identification! I wonder if there was any design relationship between Atco and Morrison? They're certainly similar.
  • Atco was founded by Charles H Pugh in 1921.[2]
  • Pugh created a petrol lawnmower, which became the first of its kind to be mass-produced anywhere in the world.[3]
  • Pugh started making motor mowers under the tradename Atco (short for "Atlas Chain Company"), with a 22-inch (560 mm)-wide cut. The Atco motor mower was an immediate success. 900 of them were made in 1921, each costing £75. Within five years, annual production had accelerated to tens of thousands. Prices were cut and a range of sizes was available, making the Standard the first truly mass-produced motor mower.
  • 5 November 1981: In the early hours, a fire destroyed the old Charles H Pugh site and stock. The factory moved to Stowmarket in East Anglia, where it reopened as Atco Ltd.
  • 1991: Atco Ltd was renamed as Atco-Qualcast Ltd.
  • 1995: Atco-Qualcast Ltd was acquired by Robert Bosch GmbH and run as Atco-Qualcast Ltd.
  • 2011: Bosch sold the intellectual drawings, plant, equipment and tooling for the entire existing mower range to the Allett Mowers division of Turfmech Machinery Limited in Hixon, Staffordshire. Allett commenced manufacturing the range of Atco mowers with Allett branding instead of Atco, and with new model names.
  • 2011: Bosch licensed the Atco brand name to Global Garden Products Italy S.p.A. (part of STIGA S.p.A.), which launched a new Atco branded range of lawnmowers.
  • 29 April 2013: Global Garden Products Italy S.p.A. bought the Atco brand name from Bosch.

Reactions: Big Ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I note the bold picture above and wonder if its possible to obtain replacements and while I'm on screen I also need to find the correct paint and colour as my mower is very rusty. Many thansk for all the detail you gave.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I also need to find the correct paint and colour as my mower is very rusty.
Atco Royal Green 400ml Acrylic Gloss Aerosol Spray Paint

Parts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts