My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause both intake valve guides on a cv20 to break a small piece off ends? Both intake guides closest to valve seat did this and caused quite a bit of internal head damage.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Have you checked the choke and air cleaner screws to see if any missing? We had a couple do this with screws eaten by engine. Otherwise I'm not sure!!??

Reactions: 43128

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I can't think of any general thing to check other than what Eric suggests. You'd be surprised at the things that can get sucked into an engine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMG_1374[1].jpg

IMG_1376[1].jpg

Here's pic of left side damage.. Both sides look similar, however, right side smashed top of piston and locked rings. Carb doesn't appear to be missing anything

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
That might have done it when valve was open?! Still strange!

·
Registered
58 Posts
fixer

I would say you found the problem . a piece of porcelain in an engine is like a piece of steel to a aluminum piston until it gets ejected from the cylinder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess it's just an engine from "Heck". Got it back together and so far so good... It sounds good doesn't smoke and has good compression on both cylinders. This is a great site to get information. Thanks to all !!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts