My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1980's vintage 3 hp briggs ..my question is what i am calling the valve cover , a small rectangular shaped cover on the side on the engine...this cover is missing the gasket but the cover also has a 1/4 hole in just the front of the cover...what is suppose to be there...has to be something missing...can i just braze it closed or is it missing a breather of sorts ?..it does look as if something was there at one time..this was a roadside pickup going to the trash so i picked it up and it does run i just need to get some small things repaired and its ready for summer...thanks for any help

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes the hole is suposed to be there and a rubber hose (1 1/2" long) is supposed to be in it facing downward to relieve crankcase vapors. Roger

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys for the info...i really thought there was suppose to be something there , now i know..great site here for sure , i've always get the help i need...now to find the hose

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
The rubber boot might also be connected to an aluminum tube that heads under the shroud over the the carb on the opposite side.

(Re-burns the vapors to reduce pollutant emissions. :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks guys for the info...i really thought there was suppose to be something there , now i know..great site here for sure , i've always get the help i need...now to find the hose
You're missing the crankcase breather tube that runs to the under side of the air filter base. If you leave it open; the engine will suck dirt and be worthless. Go to Lawn Mower Parts to look up the parts IPL for your model, type and code.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts