My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an older Jari sickle mower yesterday that has a Briggs and Stratton 5hp engine on it. Since I just got it, I haven't really had the chance to look at the engine hard other than to get the numbers off of it and get a manual online from B&S. Numbers are Model 130202 Type 4015 01 Code 89111327

It's been sitting with gas in it for gosh only knows how long, stinks to the high heavens, and there is rust in the tank that needs to be treated, if possible. But this thing has foam in the gas tank and looking at the manual I got online from Briggs and Stratton, it says not to remove the foam from the tank

Can somebody tell me what that foam is for, and what happens to it if you take it out? Can it be put back in or does it blow up bigger than a house if you remove it? I've never seen this sort of thing in the gas tank of any of the small engines I've worked on.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
I think it's there to keep the fuel from sloshing around when the equipment is in use to prevent fuel cavitation (Pockets of air in the fuel line that would cause an engine to stall out). It's a primitive type of baffling system. It's the same method they would use to make water beds motionless...REALLY! :2th:

·
Founding Administrator
1,269 Posts
I have an old tiller onto which I transplanted a similar engine with foam in the tank. Like Bruce said, it keeps the gas from foaming up and I would expect fumes from escaping thus losing some of your fuel. You could probably take it out for cleaning the tank and then put it back with no problems.

The engine I have has the manually adjustable throttle but I'd like to get the plate to which you could attach a cable for adjusting engine speed.

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I sort of reaffirmed the fact that I really don't like B&S engines anymore. They're good engines, but the fact that you can't easily drain these big metal gas tanks probably accounts for why so many of them wind up with stale gas in them. Add to that the sort of hard to get at phillips screws that hold the carb to the top of the tank, one of which, usually the hardest one to get at, that don't want to screw out, and it makes for a frustrating experience.

And the gas in this tank was stale! There was about half a tank full in this tank, and that spongy thing in the tank seemed to be in two pieces, the lower half was really deteriorated.

I'm going to put some CLR in the tank and see if it will clean up. If it does, then I'll go over the carb to clean it up, and it seems I might have to replace the seal on the PTO end of the crank.

Who knows, maybe I'll be doing a review on one of those Predator engines the sell at Harbor Freight one of these days.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Who knows, maybe I'll be doing a review on one of those Predator engines the sell at Harbor Freight one of these days.
I think Mark777 has a catalog for HF or its sister company. :sidelaugh

What effect does CLR have on a nasty gas tank, does it clean the rust up very well? Have you tried the apple cider vinegar trick yet?

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used CLR on tanks that aren't too rusty, and since I don't want to put a lot of effort into this, it'll be an easy start.

There's been a lot of talk on go kart sites, and at least one fellow over on SBF that put one of those Hazard Fraught engines on a snowblower, and the comments are good.

·
Administrator
6,291 Posts
My MTD chipper/shredder bought back in the 1990's has that foam in the tank as well. I always figured someday I would be cleaning pieces of it out of the carb and scrapping it out of the tank. Wonder how much alcohol it was designed to tolerate before disintegrating?

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
Our tiller has foam in its gas tank as well. It makes it a little hard to identify the fuel level when it starts to get below half a tank.

·
Founding Administrator
1,269 Posts
Those engines from Harbor Freight are a nice looking piece of machinery. Plus, they go on sale nearly every week for $99, and if you look online you can get a 20% off coupon about any time. I just keep wishing this briggs of mine would either croak or I'd get another tiller/ project to justify getting one of those engines. I'd like to mess around with one.

I think I'd try to siphon the old gas out with a piece of gas line, get the foam out with needle nose pliers, clean the tank out, and proceed with the carb kit.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There had been about half a tank full of gasoline left in this to turn old and nasty:mad:

After fiddling with the phillips screws and all of the various rods and springs attached to the controls at the bottom of the control panel, I took the tank and dumped it out.

Of course the gasket on top of the tank will have to be replaced. The foam seemed to be made in two pieces, a top and bottom. The top part pulled out without a hitch, but the bottom was pretty well deteriorated and was sort of a gooy yet chunky mess that took a bit of effort to get out. Once I got all of it out it didn't seem that the tank was as rusty as I thought originally and that's why I think a soaking of CLR might do the trick.

I took the engine off of the mower to better look it over and to really examine the mower itself.

The Jari is made like a tank. I'll have to look into replacing the sickle blades as a couple of them are broken off and at least one is missing. I was surprised that all the nuts and bolts turned off easily without any fuss, unlike the screws on the B&S tank.

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts

:)

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Gosh guys, :sorry: I don't now what I was thinking.:dunno:

Here's the listing on CL that hasn't been deleted by the seller yet. The guy misspelled the name and called it a Tari instead of Jari.
Tari brush mower

As you can see, they haven't changed much. Here's the company's web site.
Jari USA, Home of the Jari Sickle Mower

It has a 36" cutting bar and there are 17 "blades" as they call them, all of which should be replaced. I tried yesterday to find a local source for these, being in the heart of John Deere country, but these are smaller in size than ones used on agricultural equipment, so it looks like Jari is where I'll have to turn to get them. I'll look more online first since I'm not going to be chopping anything down soon.

Here it as after I got it home and started working on it. The engine and cutting bar are off. I sent this picture to the company to get an idea of when it might have been manufactured. From the color scheme and features, they estimate it to have been in the 70s.

I looked around for a replacement engine yesterday, but didn't have much luck. Evidently horizontal engines are tough to find, so I got the things needed to work on the carb and tank yesterday. Temperatures are supposed to be around 60(!) here today so I'll plan on working on it.

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
That's pretty cool, Bruce. Sometimes you can find the best deals when things are misspelled and it doesn't make them easy to find.

By looking at the new machines, they have obviously stuck with a tried and proven design.

It will be interesting to hear when it was made. Is it a pretty heavy machine? I would imagine the sickle bar would be!

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know what you mean. This isn't the first time I've found something that was misspelled, and was to my advantage. In this case, I recognized it from it's picture. The guy was kind enough to hold onto it for me for a couple of days until I could get to LaCrosse to pick it up.

It is pretty heavy. Can't tell you how much it weighs, but you're right about the sickle bar. It's a pretty hefty piece of equipment, much of it made of heavy cast pieces. With those large wheels and the engine hanging out on the back, it's very well balanced.

The weather here is really weird today. All time new record high for today, well into the 60s. It's raining and so humid that everything in the garage was dripping with water.

I got the carb cleaned and the new kit put in it. Cleaned up the outside of the engine that was covered with oily dirt and put the carb back on. The CLR is working on the tank as we speak, and from the looks of it, it should come out O.K. I had tested the spark before I took anything apart, and it has good spark, so, we'll see in a day or two. If it doesn't go, I have a line on another engine.

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
It sounds like the project is moving along nicely. I'm sure you won't have to as it sounds like this motor has life in it yet, but how about a Jacobsen engine swap? Easier said than done, custom motor mounts and everything would have to be made though. Sometimes I keep and eye out for something to swap one of those motors onto as it would be kind of fun to re-power something using one of them.

I forgot to ask. What is the cover made from? Fiberglass or strong plastic I assume?

It sounds like you're getting a nice break from the cold! That always helps when you're working out in the garage, take advantage of it while you can. Apparently we're in for a heat wave too... 48 degrees and something called a blue sky towards the weekend. Around here you forget what color the sky is and just how wonderful it truly is.

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Blue sky would be nice:ThumbUp: Can't say as we've seen much of it around our parts lately either. The weather report called for snow starting some time during the night, and this morning's paper said we'd be waking to snow. Hmmm...they both seem to have missed the mark since it's raining now.

I'm off the the garage to see how the CLR did overnight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.