My Lawnmower Forum banner

Briggs running rich with no filter

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  motorhead12 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have just picked up a mower, 675 series 10122256. It's obviously secondhand but very good condition. It starts fine but is running rich, sooty plug. After investigating, I found the engine having no air filter. I have just ordered a new filters and gasket but I'm aware once I fit these the mower is going to struggle with running even more richer than it is now. Any suggestions?

#4 ·
It's not oily mate, just sooty. It smokes a tiny bit when I push it to full throttle, you can hardly see it. It doesn't smoke when running. It runs a bit lumpy on full revs but ticks over ok

#5 ·
Ok, good! That means you're not burning oil! ;) It sounds like a carb related issue. Those Briggs carbs are non-adjustable, so it's not just a maladjustment that's causing the problem. Most likely, you need to pull the carb of and disassemble and clean it. Gummed up carbs are very common, especially if the machine has been sitting with gas in the tank. A wide variety of problems can stem from a dirty carb, so that's where I'd start first.:2cents:

#8 ·
motor is right. The carb seems to cause the problems when gas has sat in it or poor gas we have to use! :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.