Mylawnmowerforum.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace a 12 CID briggs engine (12F802 type 0833-01--25mm X 3-5/8 shaft drilled and taped 3/8-20 with 1/4" keyway, currently mounted on an old JD 14PZ) and nothing I can find that size (12-or-so CID) has a throttle control. They're all fixed speed!

I can't even find a list of specs for their current lineup of vertical replacement engines! I can find one from 2015 and 2016 but nothing that describes their current catalog.

Has Briggs and Stratton eliminated throttle controls? Are all their vertical small-displacment engines setup for fixed speed? If so, why so?

Thanks
Scott Sands

·
Registered
82 Posts
that engine was replaced by 126L021025, that engine was replaced by 104m02-0020f1 which is fixed speed at 3200 RPM. but it appears they're all fixed speed

However, here is a list of engines with the same size and diameter crankshaft that should work, Briggs, Kohler, etc/
https://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/engines/shaft-size/25mmDx3~5-SLASH-32"L/shaft-type/25mm-Keyed

However, you can also get a shortblock, the shortblock number is superseded to this https://www.searspartsdirect.com/product/5smtd3n116-0071-500/id-792741
basically you just swap over your intake manifold,, cylinder head, flywheel, ignition coiln carburetor, gas tank, dipstick. no INTERNAL work required

·
Registered
186 Posts
The "fixed speed" is fixed because the throttle has been replaced with a spring.
The carb mountings are the same so there is nothing to stop you taking the throttle & carb off your old mower & fitting it to the new engine
From I have removed all of the auto throttle rubbish from a couple of engines and replaced it the standard set up.
This was done to allow the engine to be throttled down when the cacher is emptied rather than what most people do , tape up the dead mans throttle and replace the catcher with the engine running full speed.
The whole set up complete with cut out on the catcher flap was obviously designed by an appartment living mentally retarded bureaucrat trying to make himself appear to have more than one functioning brain cell while saving the nation from injuries

·
Registered
186 Posts
You might have to reconfigure the kill wire as well
Usually if there is one of those idiot flywheel brakes fitted the kill wire is hooked up to it and the microswitch is a NC type so backwads to most plunger needs to be in to stop the engine.
Again these get ripped out and the kill switch exchanged for a NC type so pulling in the bail kills the engine.
Usually a Husky model would have an orange vanity cover not a black one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts