My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here with first question --- am not very familiar with the B&S engines so heres my question..

I have an older Wheel Horse with a B&S 16hp twin opposed horizontal shaft that is shot, both cyls badly scored and almost certainly the crank is toast too. On prowling ebay I see there are very few 16hp items listed, somewhat more 17s and quite a few 18s, with 2-3 decent sounding 18hp "long blocks" shown. So, will my 16hp tin, manifolds, flywheel, etc change over to an 18?

Next - the WH engines run counter clockwise - is that common? say, for instance, will a B&S twin engine off a Craftsman or? run CCW?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It sounds like you're exploring all of your options in terms of what would be the right choice for either a repair or replacement. Those are some good questions.

I don't know the answers to them myself, but somebody should be along shortly that will know more.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I'm pretty sure that your parts will switch from the 16 to the 18 hp engines. Also, most small engines do run with CCW rotation, so you're good there.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Most Briggs are close in engine family. The manifold and such items should be good. Best thing is too check your numbers to donor engine. Crank might be longer/ bigger?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: Usually the main problem when replacing an engine with a similar model is getting the crank configuration right. If you don't match it up, it won't work in your application.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys -- these little tidbits of info can possibly add up to being able to choose an alternate model. Have got a lead on one out of a Sears tractor now - have to reach an agreeable price before getting into comparing specs...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts