My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpg

In the 3rd photo there is an adjustment nut that has an arm. That arm controls the flap for the opposite side of the choke as many of you know I'm sure. What's happens is the throttle is at max as soon as the engine is started. When you pull down on the throttle control this arm under the carb doesn't raise when the spring is pull off of it. Therefore the throttle is never reduced. How do I adjust this bolt?

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
image.jpg

The engine sticker.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Brian, that is the Governor arm, DON'T MESS WITH THAT NUT YET!!!
Did the tractor ever idle down since you had it?? You may have a governor internal failure other wise! Wonder if the throttle cable slipped in the holder??
What is the numbers on the valve cover? Those are the ones I need!!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right Eric! It never idled down for the short time I pulled it off the trailer and put it in the garage! I have a picture of the model for you.

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
When the throttle cable is at idle does that arm move kinda free or tight??

Reactions: bwhitsonjr

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It moves free. That's what was so strange. It's like when there's no tension by the spring the arm doesn't return upwards that the linkage is connected to. In other words it never moves up to reduce the throttle .

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Ok how about at full throttle? I have a older one so I will look tomorrow. I'll try to film it in action too.
In mean time, look at this and see what yours looks like!
Is it under warranty right? If so I might have shop fix it for you Brian! I know of neighbors FIL had one fail and kill his engine on Simplicity.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would be really helpful Eric.... Don't go out of your way. I won't be seeing it until the afternoon. Church then visiting friends from out of town. It is very much under warranty. This is a brand new as in Friday yesterday 4/1 purchase. I'm not going to chance running it at full throttle, even past full throttle. I mean it's screaming! It could do damage I'm sure! They should come and pick it up on Mon. Thanks for the quick replays and if I can't get it figured I'll report their findings.

BTW I watched this on YouTube video earlier and followed his instruction to a "T". Pretty easy as I'd never done one on a v-twin. With that being said it changed nothing since it was already set all the way in clockwise position as it was brand new.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Brian, sure sounds like governor failure!! Don't run it until they come get it! It most likely would blow or hurt it badly :(
Sorry bud!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK...... So chances are you've encountered this before and made a repair? I'm guessing that's possible? What causes governer failure? What's not happening when it runs like this? Thanks buddy!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Well only seen it with single intek when dad repaired leaking sump. He did not time the governor shaft right and engine screamed! What it does is keep the engine from over revving. It might have had failure of the weights that work it. Like a centrifugal weight moves out when revved and will "govern" speed this way!
Here is better way than I can tell you!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that Eric! Quite informative! It gives me an inside view of what's going on. I'm 100% positive that my governer arm doesn't move from full throttle when I move the control to idle. I'm sure they'll fix it. I don't know if this means a new engine or what?

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jackpot! This is the one Eric for the engine that's sitting in my garage. Take the time to watch this. Very detailed explanation and probably exactly what happened with this one.... Maybe.

Tell me what you think? Is he right on the money? No fix except what he did? If I'm fact the dealer does the same and tears in and finds its not repairable how big of an ordeal is that for them to replace engine? Big process to get approval from Briggs and Stratton me thinks?

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sure looks like the issue. Not sure Brian as we never had a v-twin with it yet!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't forget about me.... If you get a chance to film one working correctly I would greatly appreciate it! I might even let you off the hook on you JD. :ROFL:ROFL:ROFL

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Brian, I did forget due to weather!! I'll go try it now!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's all good. It will help put the pieces together in my head. :)

Besides.... I'm gonna have them come pickup the tractor tomorrow and they can get to diagnosing what's going on. Having trouble right out of the gate worrries me. What do you think? Problems to continue for the rest of it's life? :dunno:

If it's something major, kinda makes me want to just get a refund and go somewhere else. This is the only one they have. They do have one with a FAB deck but it's much more!

We'll see! :confused:

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Brian, all man made items will have one failure here and there! Coming from Auto industry in '90's showed me a lot of it may be employee caring then! Now with internet and surveys running customers quality of everything seems better. Still going to have a lemon once in a while! My car has some issues, nothing that makes me want to return it! Hang in there bro, they will God willing straighten her out for you!
Mean while after warming up, your staring role in one of my YouTube additions is uploading!! ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts