My Lawnmower Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
I looked and I have a couple of Murray manuals, but not yours. In mine the terminal M is your kill and is wired in yellow on my Yard-King version of a Murray. I can look at my other Murrays in stock today to verify color of kill wire.

Sorry Tim, looks like mine use the yellow for the kill of magneto! Wish I could help more!

Two yellows....one for key switch..one for seat safety, is what I recall seeing...and what I thought I had outlined in my post...If it were mine, I would NOT start hooking the kill wire up randomly to terminals on switch...12v dc applied to the coil kill lead can render the coil dead...or cause some unusual firings from internal circuit damage..[perhaps what you may be witnessing]..understandable mistake, as many owners , thinking of their car ignition systems, feel they must wire up the 12v to the coil...Don't do it..IMO.

The first site showed me nothing on where this wire should be hooked up. The murray diagram I have printed and it doesn't show where the mag wire I supposed to be hooked up either. That is the problem I am having. I cannot find anything that shows where it should be hooked up.
The magneto wire goes to the ignition switch so it can turn the engine off.
If you take the switch out you will most likely see the terminals marked.
B = battery
M = magneto
G = ground
L = lights
S = starter
A = alternator.

If not then you will, have to test the switch.
Only 1 pair of terminals will be connectede when the switch is turned off.
One of these goes to gound and the other goes to the magneto. M & G
I seem to recall you being told the same information some where else.

In the start position again only 2 terminals will be connected, the B & S

And the only armature on your engine is in the starter motor.
You have a stator under the flywheel and an Ignition module outside the flywheel usually incorperated into the coil.

The ignition swich should not have 2 of the same colour wires attached to it .
I will assume the 2 yellows are the result of some blitering idiot attempting to bypass the safety switches without any idea of what he was doing.

Well that did not take long. Cleaned the negative ground wire and contact point. No spark. Found and traced the small black wire from the Armaeture, it went under the engine and then was connected (soldered) to a YELLOW wire going to the ignition key. Which the wiring diagam show it as part of the OFF function. Cut the wire and grounded the spark plug and got great spark with the key in start position. Reattach black to yellow and had no spark, until I released the key from the start position then I got two or three sparks.
So a new question. Where should the armeture wire be connected/ I did not dsee any lose or ends of wires laying around.
It should be connected to the ingition switch so you can turn the thing off.
Some clot has connected wires willy nilly toi the back of the ignition switch so you will need to pull it out and check which ones are connected in each of the different key positions.
Then go back to that diagram and work out which wire is what

All recent posts are good advice...However, I would still try to disconnect or cut the magneto kill wire first...and see if plug will spark in the run position....Just to prove someone hasn't also damaged the magneto...I still believe the diagram showed two 'separate" yellow wires used...wondering if the seat yellow was mistakenly tied to the coil..? Basically what I posted earlier...

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Suspicion,the mag wires is disconnected, and it does fire like this. I just cannot find where the wire is suppose to be hooked up. Thinking I will get a chance to look somemore today.

OK,thinking it was mentioned earlier....Coil kill wire seems to be connecting to term M on key switch...as it plugs into a yellow wire to travel there..I have no idea why it works properly in start position, and obviously picks up a ground in the run position...except for a bad switch...

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I have already changed the switch and it did nothing. I am about ready to tell hime to take it to a repair shop. Because it is whipping my butt.. Gonna give it two more days then it has to go.

Grief...Know the feeling...But, Because this "Guy brought the mower to you with all the safety switches by-passed"...Maybe consider just returning it to him the same, leave the ignition kill disconnected, tell him , no safety, eng will stop running with key OFF in couple seconds with the fuel solenoid shut off, assume it has same..? Other wise, he can take it to a repair shop, and be prepared to open wallet wide...!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.