My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have a problem here that I have never seen before. I am running a 12.5 briggs I/C engine that loses power when hot and eventually stalls out. After it stalls out, there is a gurgling sound in the fuel tank for quite some time after the engine stalls. The tank is clean, fuel line is new as well as the filter. :dunno: I almost forgot, the vent hole on the tank cap is also free.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Double check the cap and make sure you have the correct fuel filter. Will it start right back up or does the sound go away if you remove the cap? You could even have a small hole in the diaphragm of the fuel pump, unless it is gravity fed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, the cap has no valve in it, only a small hole. The engine is gravity fed. I am unsure about the filter. It is the same type that was in there before. The sound does not change with the cap removed. The old engine was 8hp, the new one is 12.5. The trouble only starts when the engine has been run for about 30 minutes under load. Then it stalls and gurgles. The gurgling continues for about 10 minutes after it stalls. After the engine has cooled down a bit it starts and runs fine until it gets hot again. The mower is an old JD 68 RER. They had a hood and metal shroud around the engine to quiet them down a bit and be more "neighbor friendly". I know they had a problem with the engines overheating and changed the design of the hood to be open on top and let more air in and more heat escape. Thanks for the advice so far, Fivepoints!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts