My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This morning, while I was clearing snow,the engine on the snowblower suddenly quit for no reason, and refused to restart. After checking that the engine was getting gas, I pulled the plug. It looked fine, and produced a spark. When I compared the spark to a new plug, it seemed only slightly weaker. Since I had no idea what else could be the problem, I put the new one in and cranked the engine. It started on the first pull!:dunno: I have never heard of a plug quitting with no warning while the engine was running, and still having a spark. Has this happened to any one else?

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Can't say as it's happened while the engine was running, but I have had spark plugs that just sort of gave up and had to be replaced.

Out of curiosity, what brand of spark plug was it?

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I've only had it happen on 2-cycle engines. But with them it was carbon build up and once cleaned the plug would work fine again.

Maybe your plug has a crack in the insulator that is only showing issue when under compression or faster firing rates?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, the plug looks fine, the electode is clean too. Also, I doubt the plug has more than ten hours on it.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I know a lot of new briggs engines use a champion RC14YC instead of the RC12YC. Maybe going with a hotter version of the NGK plug or the RC14YC instead if NGK doesn't offer a hotter version?

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the NGK with a briggs brand plug (presumably a rebranded champion) that claims to replace both the RC12YC and the RC14YC and it's working fine now. :dunno:

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny thing is, Champions are still made in USA, but the plug I just put in claimed to be made in china. :dunno:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts