My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,
Yogi here. I'm new to MLMF so I'll start with my dumb question.
What is the purpose of the Brake Safety Switch (BSS) on my JD 102? I assume it would be to prevent lurching during starting if you don't have clutch, brake pushed in? Ole Yogi was mowing yesterday and after shutting engine off it would not start. I located a broken purple wire that was still connected to the one of the two small posts of a four post Starter Solenoid. Yog assumes the broken end of the long purple wire goes up under to the BSS. Thinking about by-passing BSS by hot wiring it. Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
9,016 Posts
Wrong place to ask this question. Against rules to defeat safeties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Unfortunately it's not good to ever by-pass any SAFETY switch.. Hence the name. Normally they were put there for a good reason and it should stay that way.... Stay Safe! Happy mowing! :)

Reactions: keakar

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Guys,
Yogi here. I'm new to MLMF so I'll start with my dumb question.
What is the purpose of the Brake Safety Switch (BSS) on my JD 102? I assume it would be to prevent lurching during starting if you don't have clutch, brake pushed in? Ole Yogi was mowing yesterday and after shutting engine off it would not start. I located a broken purple wire that was still connected to the one of the two small posts of a four post Starter Solenoid. Yog assumes the broken end of the long purple wire goes up under to the BSS. Thinking about by-passing BSS by hot wiring it. Thanks for any advice.
DO NOT BYPASS IT EVER. if I recall correctly the brake switch has two circuits, one is the grounded kill switch and the other is to only send power to the ignition switch for starting if the pedal is pressed. the purpose for the brake kill switch is to prevent the mower from starting and running you over if its in gear.

the safeties all have a very real and necessary purpose (well I reject the notion the cutting in reverse kill switch is useful or needed) but you have a neutral safety switch so the mower cannot be started in gear, you have a brake safety switch so the mower cannot be started in gear if the neutral switch fails and the mower runs you over. you have a blade engagement safety switch so the mower cannot be started with the blade engaged and chop your toes off.

you have a seat safety switch so you are sitting on it in full control to start it, if you aren't in the seat with it running, if not then or the mower can continue running if you fall off for some reason, the mower could run you over, chop you up, or just overall make you have a bad day chasing after it running through the wifes flowers.

all those safeties should be in good working order and stay hooked up, I do however make only one exception and bypass the cut in reverse kill switch on mine but I hook it back up if I ever sell a mower. I don't know anyone that doesn't have to cut in reverse at some point, that one makes no sense at all to me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you can (assuming both broken ends are accessible), just reconnect the broken wire, and seal it with shrink tubing. If that is indeed the problem, it should fix it, and you are not bypassing anything.

Reactions: bwhitsonjr
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.