My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out to gym this morning ,we stopped at Wal-Mart for a battery for Craftsman tractor. They are out of them?!? While back there, see new jump box. Our Harbor-Freight one is slowly getting worthless! I bought it for us. Thing is huge, guess it is 1000amp for firing big engines! Guess it will run 120V and has air compressor. It needs 36 hours for first charge so no play time yet!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Exactly what is happening to the Harbor Freight one. Would not crank the Opposed twin yesterday with a battery at 40%?? Can't wait to try it!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
That's a big boy! Looks like it has some nice features and will be very handy to have around the shop.

Brings back memories of lugging one around at my first job as a lot boy at a John Deere dealership. Those things spent more time being carried around then they did being plugged in to get charged. In fact I remember a few times people trying to use them as battery chargers and leaving them hooked up to batteries for a length of time.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
It's surprising the power they get out of the little batteries in them. My parents bought me one for Christmas a number of years ago. It would crank over the old 350 ci in the 79 Toronado no problem with the battery in the car down to almost nothing. Last summer it would no longer hold a charge so I bought a replacement battery for it. Cost 3/4 the price or more of a replacement jump box for the battery. Seems to be working like new again. Debatable though whether it was worth replacing the battery. Just hate to toss out something I can still fix.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Austen we are hoping we could leave pancake compressor home next pick up and carry this only. Mark, we are debating fixing the Harbor Freight one for the same reason!
43128, that thing is neat! Same money I spent on the new box!? Must have Lithium batteries?

·
Banned
84 Posts
That was impressive, (that little power pack) For the harbor freight unit that you have that is going out, can you get a picture of it for me please?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it is all charged up and I got nothing to try it on!? :( Any body need a jump!!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That was impressive, (that little power pack) For the harbor freight unit that you have that is going out, can you get a picture of it for me please?
Ryguy, dang it forgot!
My buddy Bob um took it today! Dad gave it to him. He has three or four already? I'll see if I have a pic of it somewhere!

·
Registered
226 Posts
The air compressor will surprise you. I blew up a completely flat tire on a Honda pick up with a smaller unit. However, that was the last time the compressor worked. Same thing with another one I had. It blew up an almost flat tire on a Ford F-350. That was the last thing it ever did. The jump packs both continued to work very well. I've had good luck with a cigarette lighter plug in 12 volt I got at Auto Zone for 50 bucks, compressor only. Like everything, one tool just can't do it all, no matter how well it's made.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Any body need a jump!!
Yeah!

I'm back up in WA and have a few dead batteries on some of my things didn't have Tenders on them.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will be there in like a week!? Use the Diesel in mean time..... ��

·
Banned
84 Posts
For those of you who have Costco memberships, I saw a nice battery tender in Costco automotive section for about $36.00 I might pick me up one to help out with some of the snow blower batteries.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We don't have any around here. Sounds like good deal!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well this is a update for you, it SUCKS!!!!!
Dad used it to try to start a snowblower with 110v . Now it will not even spin over a tractor engine! Battery will not charge over 55%, guess battery failed! :(
Going to try to return it to Wal-Mart today.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts