My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the model is R-1000. Can't be pushed as the rear wheels won't roll, but if lifted off the ground there seems to be differential action, rolling one makes the other move opposite, no grinding or wierd noises so I guess that's a good sign. Was told it runs but no key, I have the battery on charge and will be picking up a key at Home Depot and I'll get into it tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so. I got a key from Home Depot, got the tires aired up, dragged the mower onto my paved walkway and gave it a good shove from the front and that seemed to free up what was causing the rear wheels not to turn. Will chalk that up to it sitting in the sellers garage for 3 years I guess.
Drained the fuel tank next, was maybe a gallon of something I wouldn't really call fuel in it, smelled old and a lot off water. Checked oil & spark & put in some fresh fuel, it turns over but wouldn't fire, it will run on starting fluid though so it seems like it'll make a good mower once it's running.
I pulled the fuel cutoff solenoid and appear to have found the problem, covered in rust, so I imaging the inside of the carb is just as bad. So do you guys have any recommendations for a not to expensive carb for these? I believe it has the Powermore 420cc engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MTD's part number for the carburetor for the 420cc's powermore is 951-05149, OEM carb from mtd is about $95.
The Savior and CarbHub brands which i have used on occasion seem to be pretty good.
Will be going the Chinese carb route, the OEM is over half of what I paid for the mower, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the carb swapped out today and it fired right up (was nasty inside the old one, needle valve was stuck closed), but it's surging similar to what my snowblower was doing when the airjet was clogged, not sure what would be causing that. It moves in all gears, the brake/clutch works, and the blade spins so looks like it was a good buy at $175. Gonna order some parts along with a new blade & mulch kit & tune up stuff to install in the spring before I start using it full time. Did find out it was built in 2015.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sorry, i just now saw your reply,
get some WD40 in a trigger spray bottle, and with the engine running, soak the area around where the carb mounts and the choke and throttle shafts, if the engine runs smoother, blows smoke, or dies.... you found your intake air leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, i just now saw your reply,
get some WD40 in a trigger spray bottle, and with the engine running, soak the area around where the carb mounts and the choke and throttle shafts, if the engine runs smoother, blows smoke, or dies.... you found your intake air leak.
No problem, can't complain about free help! I'll try that if I get another warm weekend before the snow flies, all the gaskets looked in good shape when I did the swap but ya never know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts