Reactions: BOSOX

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Think they'll bring back the SS?

·
Banned
84 Posts
Nope. In fact I don't see the Impala selling well enough that it will even be around in say... 4 years. As great of a vehicle as it is, GM has really hurt themselves big time with the recalls and dishonesty that has taken place and I pray for the new CEO to be able to turn things around. Right now Chevy has enough performance cars. Corvette, Camaro, and the SS. 2014 SS Sports Sedan: High-Performance Sedan | Chevrolet
The SS won't be around long as well, they are hardly selling. All the automakers now are focused on making fuel efficient vehicles in order to meet the strict CAFE standards that are coming up in the not too distant future. When they throw a gas guzzling performance vehicle in there it only hurts the CAFE ratings for that manufacturer. In fact they now even have what they call a "Gas Guzzler" tax can you believe that? :D :D :D Ah well. All the automakers are scrambling to release fuel efficient vehicles. Ford is doing it via the Eco Boost engines.. Toyota and Honda are taking more of the Hybrid approach.. Kia/Hyundai is just copying what others are doing but adding their own little touch (which is really all they have been doing all along, copying the looks of vehicles, in particular Hyundai loves to take the looks of vehicles from Toyota and Honda and more or less make it their own, so you see Hyundai's version of the previous generation of Corolla, and also the previous generation of the Honda Accord... and much of the technology that Honda and Toyota developed, Hyundai has ripped off from and put it in their own vehicles. Take a 2010 Hyundai Elantra vs a 2010 Toyota Corolla or a 2006 Hyundai Sonata vs a 2005 Honda Accord)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks Eric! I haven't read that one yet! Auto Week and Consumer Reports have given the 14' Impala high praise since it came out. Here's the consumer reports link:

Top Scoring Cars in Our Tests | Best & Worst Cars - Consumer Reports

Oh, and I just drove the #1 CR car, the Tesla Model S. My BIL just took delivery of his and let me take it for a spin, and to stretch it's legs. The car is a rocket and it's dead silent, like speeding in a bank vault! :2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I BE LIKING THAT IMPALA!! Wish they did do another SS. If they did, might be badge package only.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Eric! I haven't read that one yet! Auto Week and Consumer Reports have given the 14' Impala high praise since it came out. Here's the consumer reports link:

Top Scoring Cars in Our Tests | Best & Worst Cars - Consumer Reports

Oh, and I just drove the #1 CR car, the Tesla Model S. My BIL just took delivery of his and let me take it for a spin, and to stretch it's legs. The car is a rocket and it's dead silent, like speeding in a bank vault! :2th:
I see quite a few of those Telsa around here. Rich City people use them to commute or something! :)
I like them, look super sharp! Bet the tech is cool on inside by the magazines I read opinions! Smokey QUIET burnouts?!? :2th:

·
Registered
499 Posts
I BE LIKING THAT IMPALA!! Wish they did do another SS. If they did, might be badge package only.
I like the Black Out too, but not more than my Red one. I'm good! :2th:

I doubt GM is in any big hurry for another SS Impala with the failure of the SS Sedan that's available now. I spoke with a salesman when I bought my car and he had 2 SS's on the lot and he said he couldn't give them away. For me, a V8 family sedan just doesn't make sense. We do a lot of driving around town during the week trucking kids here and there and the V6 gets 24 all around mpg. With a high hp V8, I'm figuring a bunch lower. The SS sedan is awesome by all magazine accounts I've read and I bet it's a great car, I just can't live with the mpg anymore, times have changed.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Smokey QUIET burnouts?!? :2th:

I doubt GM is in any big hurry for another SS Impala with the failure of the SS Sedan that's available now. I spoke with a salesman when I bought my car and he had 2 SS's on the lot and he said he couldn't give them away. For me, a V8 family sedan just doesn't make sense. We do a lot of driving around town during the week trucking kids here and there and the V6 gets 24 all around mpg. With a high hp V8, I'm figuring a bunch lower. The SS sedan is awesome by all magazine accounts I've read and I bet it's a great car, I just can't live with the mpg anymore, times have changed.
Yeah, sad to see the demise of the RWD V8 platform sedan. I guess I'm just old school in that kind of respect.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Tesla Model S Burnout - YouTube

Yeah, sad to see the demise of the RWD V8 platform sedan. I guess I'm just old school in that kind of respect.
It's also is not the same watching a police pursuit on TV with the front wheels smoking and no growl of the old four barrel on a big block. Heck, that was the main reason I watched those shows and movies with car chases! :D

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It's also is not the same watching a police pursuit on TV with the front wheels smoking and no growl of the old four barrel on a big block. Heck, that was the main reason I watched those shows and movies with car chases! :D
Very true, I hear you there!

They'll have to start putting sound-overs for electric/hybrid cars during the chases.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Read some BMW cars have audio of better sounding engine piped in! I don't think I would like that!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last four barrel we had was a 1986 Monte Carlo SS. 305 V8 with factory rated 175HP I believe. My Fusion has 222HP! Still would love to hear that carb open up��

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike, some good test from Motorweek!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Thanks Eric! Cool vid! By the way, the piped-in sound Bimmers really ticked off a lot of fans, especially the purists. I don't like the idea of listening to fake engine noise in lieu of the real thing. If you're going to pay big bucks for a sweet ride, it shouldn't have to fudge its exhaust signature! ;)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Speaking of sound fabrication, the new v6 Ecoboost F150 has a system that augments the sound of a v8 inside the cab through the speakers. It is unchanged when you listen to it from the exterior however.

Not my thing either.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
:ROFL I had no idea they were making some cars sound better via the speaker system. I can see it now. Someone blows a speaker or power amp problem and it gets all crackly and the customer takes it to the dealer claiming his/her engine sounds funny. :ROFL

·
Registered
499 Posts
The A$% end of the new Impala is hideous. Love the front end though.
I wouldn't go so far as hideous, but it does lack some pizazz! Although it's right in line with other modern sedans with a chrome band between the tail lights and paint everywhere else. I thought of adding the rear trunk spoiler, but it adds little to the look so I decided not to. I like the car a lot, but they could have done a little better on the back side. They got everything else right though. :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts