My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my Bolens rider with a 15Hp Briggs motor. I have replaced the starter and the battery with no avail.

Symptom: I turn the key and the engine cycles between 4-6 times and then stops. I turn the key again and the engine cycles once and stops. Like it wants to starts, but the engine is locked up. I wait 20 seconds and it will cycle 4-6 times again. But doesn't want to fire up.
Again, brand new starter and battery.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Pull sparkplug and see if cylinder is full. Also check the key on the flywheel and see if it is partially or completely sheered.
Others may jump in with some other thoughts.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
What engine is this? Sounds like valves are out of adjustment. Possibly overfull oil with gas too. Have you checked oil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The oil is at the right height, was tad low till I filled up to measurement on the dipstick.
The teeth on the flywheel look great.
Today replaced the sparkplug and fuel filter, but thinking this is a mechanical or electrical. Battery is on the trickle-charger now.

·
Registered
390 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
The oil is at the right height, was tad low till I filled up to measurement on the dipstick.
The teeth on the flywheel look great.
Today replaced the sparkplug and fuel filter, but thinking this is a mechanical or electrical. Battery is on the trickle-charger now.
Not the teeth of the flywheel but the "Key" where the fly wheel is attached in the center.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Remove the top cowl and screen. Take the main bolt off of the flywheel and you should be able to see if the key is lined up. Just a partial sheer of the key will cause timing issues as well.
I usually try to check all the free and simple things first before replacing parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts