My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here is mine. It's a 92 ST160 Hydro, with 356 Hours on the clock but it runs like new!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sweet Bolens, my neighbor has a 1973 1656 (H-16) the 123 one built.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't think they bought out Toro but I do know that they build the consumer models.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah. They were going too. Somebody brought that up on MTF one day. Toro didn't sell though. I am very glad they didn't too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am glad the deal did not go through. Its a shame you can't get a new Wheel Horse any more.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Me too. Very. Now adays all you see is MTD's. Rarely do you see a good mower. I understand people have to get what they can afford. Trust me I'm in that boat too. But in the long run, You spend $1200 on a MTD. Ok 2 years later, parts go bad,3 years the motor starts acting up.5 years and boom. Then a new one. $1400 now and on and on. You buy a good mower like an actual JD or Toro or a Cub, then you will spend on average $3000. Keep everything in good shape and that mower will out last you. Guarantee. MTD just makes a big profit when they sell poor people like me junk. I had a white that I bought back in 05. It was a 2000. I know the guy who had it. Used it 1 year and he seen the JD that we had. He took excellent care of it. Ok. So it set in his garage for 2 until he passed away. Then I bought it and Mowed with a few times. Did good. the the blades were spinning all the time. Ok $20. then a spring broke on the transmission. Thats not good. Then the belts got chewed up. Then a week or 2 later the transmission itself messed up. Fixed it then 2 months later looked like a dang house fire. Rings were gone. So he paid $1100 for it at TSC and now it is proabably a new car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Me too. Very. Now adays all you see is MTD's. Rarely do you see a good mower. I understand people have to get what they can afford. Trust me I'm in that boat too. But in the long run, You spend $1200 on a MTD. Ok 2 years later, parts go bad,3 years the motor starts acting up.5 years and boom. Then a new one. $1400 now and on and on. You buy a good mower like an actual JD or Toro or a Cub, then you will spend on average $3000. Keep everything in good shape and that mower will out last you. Guarantee. MTD just makes a big profit when they sell poor people like me junk. I had a white that I bought back in 05. It was a 2000. I know the guy who had it. Used it 1 year and he seen the JD that we had. He took excellent care of it. Ok. So it set in his garage for 2 until he passed away. Then I bought it and Mowed with a few times. Did good. the the blades were spinning all the time. Ok $20. then a spring broke on the transmission. Thats not good. Then the belts got chewed up. Then a week or 2 later the transmission itself messed up. Fixed it then 2 months later looked like a dang house fire. Rings were gone. So he paid $1100 for it at TSC and now it is proabably a new car.
Thanks for the comments guys! And I agree, It's ashame that MTD owns like all of the brands now. Even the push mowers are getting cheaper and cheaper!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here is mine. It's a 92 ST160 Hydro, with 356 Hours on the clock but it runs like new!
Hello fireman993 I have a Troybilt with identical sheet metal and frame its one of my favorites. It came out with a 16HP briggs twin now it has a 22.5HP Kohler command engine shoehorned in it. It fit pretty good but it totally fills the engine compartment. The Briggs used an electric PTO with a 1" bore but the Kohler uses an 1 1/8" shaft so it had to be changed. The hydrostatic transaxle is appearently a lot better than the ones they use today. This thing was made in the mid 80's I think and the trans. hasn't given a minutes trouble. I was a little surprised to find pcs. of the deck lifting mechanism were made of some type of nylon. One of the parts broke this past week and I made a new pc. out of aluminium. It was a pain in the butt to get to though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You guys need to go to MyTractorForum.com with those Bolens in the Bolens section and post them. There is people there on it all the time.
I just sold my 1900 and miss it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts