My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed after fighting this for two weeks that my drive sheave (#1724908) is oblong. I contacted Samsbolens.com for a replacement and was told $200 used or $325 new. That, to me, is ridiculous pricing!

Any suggestions? Anyone think welding it on will work?

Another issue I've had is that the PTO will stop working after about a half hour. I've tried wiggling the switch, turning the machine off/on, letting it cool down for a half hour, etc. The next day I can start it up and turn the PTO on like nothing ever happened. Thoughts on this one?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I wonder if the sheave could possibly machined and fixed?

It sounds like heat might be a factor around the PTO issue and possibly slipping when it warms up. I don't know the 1700's that well but the PTO might be able to be adjusted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know much about the machining process. Do they add material inside the pulley to make the hole a perfect circle?

I like your answer on the PTO. I am hoping it is not burning out...I see they are about $200 as well!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I don't know much about the machining process. Do they add material inside the pulley to make the hole a perfect circle?

I like your answer on the PTO. I am hoping it is not burning out...I see they are about $200 as well!
Regarding the machining, I would probably take it to a couple of shops to get some opinions. Also, if you can post a photo or two of it, tiretrx could probably give you a good estimate just by looking at it. He's a professional machinist.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
If it were mine, I would rebore it true, sleeve it and broach a new key slot. That will take care of the sheave, but it is important to verify that the shaft itself is still to size. Otherwise, you'll still have a sloppy fit.

Depending on the shop's overhead, I'd put the job @ $75-$100, IF you can get one to play with it. Most shops today think these jobs are more trouble than they're worth unfortunately.

If you can't find someone local, PM me. I got a soft spot for keeping real iron running :2th:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Depending on the shop's overhead, I'd put the job @ $75-$100, IF you can get one to play with it. Most shops today think these jobs are more trouble than they're worth unfortunately.
:ditto:

That is most definitely the truth. Or, they will have a set minimum amount like $250, and even if it only takes them 1/2 - 1 hour to complete the job, you're still paying that $250 minimum just to get it out the door.

If you can't find someone local, PM me. I got a soft spot for keeping real iron running :2th:
Without any question, I highly recommend Ellis who's done work for me in the past.... he is the man for the job. :2th:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A family member works at a machining place and he thought he'd be able to do it. He's going to have to look at it first, but I'm hoping that works out! I'll update again when I find out on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks again for leading me in the right direction. I think I would have just tried welding it on and making a mess of it!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
:2th:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts