My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess his friend was giving him these identical Toro mowers. Both need brake cable. Dad went through them ,cleaned carb and such. One fired with me holding brake off manually with dad pulling rope. Other acts like keyway broken. Ordered new cables and will clean them up. He also dropped this off for me!! I Like it! Dad built it and mounted it on stick, got home to seeing mini me mowing!! :sidelaugh

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
You're raking them in, Eric! I found one of those a year or to ago; the deck was shot, but I would have got the motor running if I had found a cheap carb. The engine is a Tecumseh, so parts are tough to get. It has pressure lubrication, which is unusual in a light duty engine. :2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually have another Tec engine like them behind shed! I have spare parts if needed!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had good luck with them so far. Will see how it goes!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
tecumseh parts are easy to get if you buy aftermarket parts, the carbs are total crap though and they like to throw rods with the slightest over rev
Gotta say.. Tecumseh's are extremely hit or miss.. I have one on my Daily driver Lawn-Boy from the mid 80's that starts 1'st Pull every time.. Even dead cold..

However, for every good tecumseh I've seen.. I've seen 10 more with holes in the block, Rod through the piston, Cracked head.. Etc..

Some are fantastic.. Some are utter garbage.

I've had decent luck with those 6.5's On those Recyclers though.. They seem like an alright engine.

Nice score :2th:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Something I heard from Tecumseh and also from a couple of the manufacturers that used them was the motor was great for cold weather applications, snow blowers and such but not so much for lawn mowers.
I do own an old MTD snow blower with the tecumseh motor and it's rock solid and has never failed to start. I believe it's an 02 model.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the Sears Suburban Tec engines are great for us! My '67 started right up today! The '74 fired after I remembered to open shut-off! ;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Lols, if I had a dollar for every time I forgot to open the shut off.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It has pressure lubrication, which is unusual in a light duty engine.
That's pretty interesting and like you said, an unusual feature.

It sounds like you'll be able to make a nice profit!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So far ordered new brake cables. Need air cleaner also. The one won't fire, might be weak coil. Dad checked flywheel key already.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well they BOTH run! Not sure what happened to other one, I tried it and fired right up! Dad looked mad! Guess it fought him other day and never even coughed?
We had some old wheels for drive and changed the worn out/messed up one. Drive works somewhat! He mowed with it and bagged, can see in my Bolens video!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The brake cable came, and dad found a air cleaner. Next is to service and detail it!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the one mower kicked our butts today! :( Went to change cable and clean up for sale. First cable must have been a little short, kill stayed engaged. Then magneto failed I guess, we were chasing rabbit trails. My pal Bob had one after we tried a few we had to no avail. Went to put it on and the one bolt froze in place like it was over tightened! Broke a torx bit and rounded the head! Finally had to grind it off and threads were loose in block??? ARGH! At least no block damage. Installed the one mag from Bob and try it out, finally fires! Mows ok too thank God, a simple job turned into a 5 hour torture session!! :(

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
a simple job turned into a 5 hour torture session!! :(
Story of my life.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts