My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I realize this is really going over the top, but am I the only one that lets his blower have a cool down period after being ran hard? Whhaaat, you say!?
Maybe I've gone off the deep end this time but hear me out for a moment.

I've always noticed that blower engines naturally get quite hot after a long and hard stage of usage. Rather than immediately shutting a very hot engine off, I always set it down idling and let it have a good one minute cool down period afterwards.

Yes, I know, doing something like this would be the last thing on a landscaper's mind who really uses these machines hard on a daily basis. Not to mention if this was really an issue it would be plastered in all the instruction manuals. Me, who has a few more minutes to spare, can't help but think it doesn't hurt anything.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I do the same thing with my PB500! :ThumbUp: Blower engines seem to run real hot; I reckon it's cause they're always under load. Besides, with two stroke engines, if you let it get hot and then abruptly kill it, the rings can weld to the cylinder jug. Talk about a mess.

By the way, Echo blowers are great!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
You are not alone brother! I always let all my equipment have a cool down period so everything (all parts) can cool down evenly. Overkill? maybe, but using turbine engines (helicopters) you have to let the engines cool down for two minutes prior to shutting down so, all components can cool down evenly to prevent unnecessary wear and tear.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Like walking a horse to cool it down after a good workout. I always let my stuff run a bit at idle to get the temps down before I turn them off. Nope your not the only one Austen.:2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Dad taught me this since I was little! Always let the machine run a little before turning it off!

Reactions: Austen

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I know I am a little over the top! ;)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Figured there might be at least somebody that says "what you're doing is completely unnecessary!"

Glad to see I'm not the only one. ;)

I do the same thing with my PB500! :ThumbUp: Blower engines seem to run real hot; I reckon it's cause they're always under load. Besides, with two stroke engines, if you let it get hot and then abruptly kill it, the rings can weld to the cylinder jug. Talk about a mess.

By the way, Echo blowers are great!
Agreed!!

You are not alone brother! I always let all my equipment have a cool down period so everything (all parts) can cool down evenly. Overkill? maybe, but using turbine engines (helicopters) you have to let the engines cool down for two minutes prior to shutting down so, all components can cool down evenly to prevent unnecessary wear and tear.
Cool! That's pretty interesting about the helicopter part.

Like walking a horse to cool it down after a good workout. I always let my stuff run a bit at idle to get the temps down before I turn them off. Nope your not the only one Austen.:2th:
That's a good way to put it!

Dad taught me this since I was little! Always let the machine run a little before turning it off!
Smart!

See Austen, you're not as crazy as you think! Or maybe we're all nuts!
We're all a little over the top when it comes to the internal combustion engine. :ThumbUp:
I know I am a little over the top!
:2th:

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
i always let any machine idle for at least a minute before killing it. i also hate the fixed throttle crap cause you have to shut it off hot unless you install a throttle cable

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i also hate the fixed throttle crap cause you have to shut it off hot unless you install a throttle cable
I've never liked that setup either.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
One my mower with the auto throttle, I feather the off bale to let it slow down.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It would always start up roaring at 3600 rpm; I didn't like that, especially in cold weather. :soap: :ROFL
That is the worst! Pressure washers are typically like that too.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I always cringe when I see someone kill an engine at full throttle. Unless you have a carb fuel shutoff solenoid your dumping a lot of unburned fuel in there to smolder in the cylinder and exhaust too. My blower and Toro Super Recycler does not have an idle setting though. Like Eric I try and slow them down gradual but easier said then done. One thing I like about my old snow blower and tiller with the manual choke. I can cold start them at a fast idle for a warmup rather then going full bore as well as idle them before shutdown.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I always cringe when I see someone kill an engine at full throttle. Unless you have a carb fuel shutoff solenoid your dumping a lot of unburned fuel in there to smolder in the cylinder and exhaust too. My blower and Toro Super Recycler does not have an idle setting though. Like Eric I try and slow them down gradual but easier said then done. One thing I like about my old snow blower and tiller with the manual choke. I can cold start them at a fast idle for a warmup rather then going full bore as well as idle them before shutdown.
I hear you there and I cringe too. I don't like the kind where choke is at full throttle. Having separate choke and throttle levers is the best although that's where it can become confusing for the average homeowner. You do however see the separate controls in many commercial lines though.

Our neighbor who has a JD LT always runs his at a constant full throttle setting no matter the circumstance. In fact over the five years or so that he's owned it, I don't think I've ever once heard him throttle it down for any reason. I've almost wanted to go over there and say, "you do know there is a throttle control, right?"

On the other hand, I'm sure he probably wonders why the heck I put around at a 1/4 throttle with the tractor and reel mowers when I'm not mowing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I always let any of my stuff idle for a couple minutes before I shut it down. Quad, truck, trimmer, tractor, push mower(done unsafely so I won't elaborate). If it runs, it gets a cool down period.

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hear you there and I cringe too. I don't like the kind where choke is at full throttle. Having separate choke and throttle levers is the best although that's where it can become confusing for the average homeowner. You do however see the separate controls in many commercial lines though.

Our neighbor who has a JD LT always runs his at a constant full throttle setting no matter the circumstance. In fact over the five years or so that he's owned it, I don't think I've ever once heard him throttle it down for any reason. I've almost wanted to go over there and say, "you do know there is a throttle control, right?"

On the other hand, I'm sure he probably wonders why the heck I put around at a 1/4 throttle with the tractor and reel mowers when I'm not mowing.
This has also bothered the heck out of me since I started mowing as a kid as well. I grew up in the desert, so I ran my mowers at the lowest necessary speed in order to cut the grass w/o generating a duststorm (I was in the old part of town; my friends lived in the newer, 'upscale' parts where all the lawns were green and automatically-sprinklered).

BUT, if you have a hydrostatic transmission or transaxle, you are supposed to run it at maximum engine RPM. My Honda 4514H tractor is this way - I still dial the throttle back a bit while mowing over rocky areas as the deck has so much suction that it pulls loose gravel right off of the ground.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts