My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The blade adapter is a rectangular piece of steel attached to a collar, and the collar and crankshaft are tapered to fit together. The L-B service manual says to tap the adapter with a fiber hammer to loosen it from the crank but that's just not happening; I suspect it's been years or maybe even never since the adapter was removed.

I have a couple of different pullers but none can get their jaws at enough of an angle to around the adapter flange and hook onto the collar. Does anyone know if such a puller exists? Or some other kind of tool that would get the job done? I just finished a carb service on this particular mower and it's running a lot better, but now I want to tackle the exhaust ports. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
It's very easy, Take the claw of a plain claw hammer and place it up between the bottom of the adapter and the muffler (Don't worry, You won't Dent the muffler) so that the head of the hammer is facing down to the ground.

Now take a rubber mallet and whack the protruding handle in a downwards motion with some force.. give it one or two good whacks and they pop right off every time.

Cheers :2th:

-Stan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I'd read your reply before I worked on it today...

I wound up breaking the plate loose from the collar and using a puller to separate the collar from the shaft. I'll install a new adapter this week.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Man! It sounds like I was reading my own post from another forum.
I had the same thing happen today on a Scamp when trying to replace the muffler. I pulled the plate off of the collar. Rusted on solid. I heated and quenched, banged, pulled with a wheel puller and no joy.

Tomorrow I will hit it with my pneumatic chisel (after leaving on the wheel puller overnight and tight soaked in penetrating oil) and see how that goes. If that doesn't work, its Dremel tool time! Then I will have to buy another adapter and all should be well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts