My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Honda HRR model and it has a lot of caked on dried grass under the deck and was just wondering the best procedure to wash this off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
First, disconnect the spark plug wire from the spark plug at the very least. It might even be a good idea to remove the spark plug from the engine completely. This will insure that you don't inadvertently start the engine if you turn the blade and you can also check the condition of the spark plug at that time.

If there is gasoline in the tank, you probably should drain that out too because you're going to turn the mower on it's side to get to the underside of the deck and if there's gas in the tank, it will run out of the vent in the cap.

Be sure to set you Honda over on it's side so the air filter sits on the top. If you place the air filter on the down side when you tip the mower over, oil will drain from the crankcase into the carburetor.

I'd advise wearing a pair of gloves to protect your hands from the sharp edges of the blade and rim of the deck.

I usually use a putty knife to scrape off the grass and debris under my decks. After the heavier debris is removed, I'll go over it again with a wire brush.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: Typically, the easiest method for removing built-up grass and debris is to simply go at it with a putty scraper or something similar. It's a good practice to wash the underside of the deck with a garden hose after every time you mow. However, once you have a buildup, you just need to scrape it off. I also recommend painting the underside of the deck once you get it cleaned off; any old spraypaint will do, and it will prevent corrosion and make cleaning easier in future.

When I finish mowing, I use this device to clean off the underside of the deck. It's just some threaded pipe with a cap on the end and some angled holes drilled in it. I stabilized it using some galvanized strap.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
That's a pretty slick sprayer there motor. How long is the pipe you use, and do you raise the mower deck as high as it will go? Do you run the mower while over the sprayer, or is the engine and blade off.

I've shot a stream of water from the sprayer on my garden hose toward the bottom of the deck at the area just ahead of the rear wheel on one side while the mower was running and I keep my other hand on the handle bar of the mower. The uplift from the blade draws the water in and sort of power washes the deck off. I do this on my concrete driveway.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
The pipe's maybe 2 feet long. I just roll the mower over it in the cut grass with the blades turning and lift up a little to get full effect. There's enough clearance with the height I cut at that it'll clear it without me having to lift it. I would do it in the driveway, but my mom doesn't want grass stains. :ROFL

Here's an action pic.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice setup, Niko! :ThumbUp:
I agree. A good paint scraper and some high pressure water are your friend.

Having a good coating on the bottom is good too, as mentioned. I POR15'd the bottom underside of my old JD decks and it made more of a slick surface.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I've never had an issue with clutch slippage on the HR214s and HR215s, that have the blade brake under the deck.

Green Man, you shouldn't have any problems with your HRR216TDA since it has the flywheel brake.

For the HRR216TDA, as with all mowers, it's also best to consult the owner's manual for the manufacture's recommended service methods and periods. All Honda outdoor power equipment manuals can be found on their web site. There are three different manuals covering the HRR series, depending on the series the serial number falls into. Be sure to check the one that is appropriate for your specific model if you don't already have a copy.

The recommended method of cleaning the deck is essentially the same in all three. It is covered on page 13 of this edition.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31VL0U20.pdf

It just says that if using a garden hose or pressure washer, to avoid getting water into the controls or cables or anywhere near the air cleaner or muffler.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a Honda HRR216TDA
If you do decide to tip over the mower for better access, be sure to tip it with the RIGHT side wheels DOWN, and LEFT side wheels UP. Always turn the fuel valve OFF and disconnect the spark plug cap when doing any service work. Here's an image (showing blade removal) of correct tip-over position:

Also, if you decide to spray any water on the underside of the deck, be sure the engine is has fully cooled off. Otherwise, hot, expanded bearings on the underside of the deck can allow water to get captured, and promote rust and possibly premature bearing failure.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Putty knife...and big screwdriver for the thick stuff...Every pushmower that I bought to fix and resell, if it had a "wash out port", it's deck was already rotted...IMO, water is not needed..it only adds to the problem...some small [harmless] amount of dry grass lodged in place will therefore get soaked...causing rot...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone have the "Empire Riding Mower Deck Washer"?

I just spent a full day scraping and brushing the underside of my Craftsman 42" riding mower's cutting deck. I sprayed it with Fluid Film and it's looking nice and clean. I've been searching for a solution to the grass buildup problem, and I was thinking of building something like Motorhead12 has done, but I ran onto a commercial product from Empire Products Inc. which looks to be exactly like what I want.
Their Website is here: Empire Products, Inc.

If anyone has experience with this product I would be eager to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I've seen some amazing results with this product. Not personally but between youtube videos and hearing about it online in forums it seems to be highly touted about. It's available in aerosol and it requires very few steps to apply. It's a once a year or less application and the results are well worth the effort required to clean the deck and apply. Good luck in your research and let us know what your findings are.

Reactions: motorhead12

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Hey there! It looks like that product would work fine. My solution is cheaper, though. ;)
You got me there Motor. :sorry: It's dependent on what each person is willing to do. Due diligence in cleaning after each mow. I will admit I don't pay too much attention to my underside of the deck after the mow... whereas I will always blow off the exterior and engine compartment so nothing sits on it. I do have the plus of being able to pull it into the garage on a concrete slab VS some that keep their lawnmower outside or covered yet sitting on ground where the deck will have a continue attack from moisture.

This may offer those that don't want to have to clean their deck after each cut. My 2 cents :2cents:

Reactions: motorhead12

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I contacted Empire Products and they charge $15 shipping to Canada which bumps the price to $34.50 (US). That amounts to around $45 Canadian now that our dollar is only worth 77 cents US. I think I'll build my own unit over the winter using some PVC pipe and a garden hose fitting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts