My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the ultimate Murray made in the final production year before Murray went out of business. This is my 46", 25 HP garden tractor that I bought new for $2000.00. It gets used year round on 4 acres. I've had no issues with it other than the typical stuff that wears out on all mowers like belts and pullies. All the safety switches have been bypassed. I recently installed new wheel spindles. I'm currently installing a new deck because the existing one couldn't be patched up any more (which are hard to find). The reason the mower still looks good after all these years is because it gets parked in a enclosed garage when not in use. It only gets wet when it's washed once a year (and also waxed). The engine oil gets changed twice a year and the transaxle oil changed annually. I use 20w-50 motorcycle oil in the transaxle. What makes the mower so special is it came with the cast iron front axle and the bullet proof K-66 hydrostatic transmission. That alone makes this mower a keeper.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Immaculate! they definitely don't make them like that anymore.
What are you using for engine oil?
Conventional heavy duty 30w oil in the engine and conventional 20w50 in the hydrostatic. Tuff Torq recommends using 5w-50 synthetic in the K-66 but I had a bad experience using it. Here in the deep south the 5w-50 oil just won't hold up. Yes, I know synthetic oil is supposed to resist heat better but only if it's the proper grade oil. That 5w 50 synthetic is more suitable for northern states. I tried using the 5w-50 and after 6 months the transaxle started getting louder every time I used the mower. So I switched back to the conventional oil and the noise went away. I know that sounds weird but that was my experience. I started to use a thicker grade synthetic (which would have worked) but I wasn't taking any chances.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the ultimate Murray made in the final production year before Murray went out of business. This is my 46", 25 HP garden tractor that I bought new for $2000.00. It gets used year round on 4 acres. I've had no issues with it other than the typical stuff that wears out on all mowers like belts and pullies. All the safety switches have been bypassed. I recently installed new wheel spindles. I'm currently installing a new deck because the existing one couldn't be patched up any more (which are hard to find). The reason the mower still looks good after all these years is because it gets parked in a enclosed garage when not in use. It only gets wet when it's washed once a year (and also waxed). The engine oil gets changed twice a year and the transaxle oil changed annually. I use 20w-50 motorcycle oil in the transaxle. What makes the mower so special is it came with the cast iron front axle and the bullet proof K-66 hydrostatic transmission. That alone makes this mower a keeper.
Where did you find a new mowing deck at? Model and price of deck? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts