My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While reading the closed post about Hover mowers, which only goes to show there is one born every minute, imagine believing what a mower sales man tells you ?

Any way it was this comment
"how is a suzuki garbage? best 2 strokes ever made for a mower"
that needs to be corrected .
Firstly the mower in question has a cheap Chineese Suzuki copy engine not a real one and second the Victa powertorque was the best 2 stroke mower ever made and is until next year still in production since 1982 from memory and if Briggs & Stratton had not gotten control of Victa it would have stayed in production for another 20 years but that is another story.

Not many Americans would have seen a power torque because the US government came up with all sorts of "problems" which prevented something that was vastly superior to what was made locally ( Lawn Boy ) being sold in the USA but it was sold in over 40 other countries and is still exported in large numbers including to Canada where they filter down into the Eastern States.
Now I regularly repair 50 year old Victa push mowers which is about when they need their first set of rings.
Power torques use a plastic carb ( world first ) that never gives any problems and has all of the controls internal of the snorkel so you never have to change an air filter unless there are so many spiders in there they the webbs are blocking it off. And never change a throttle cable. It is impossible to get water into the carb or engine unless you toss it into a river.
The carb has a diaphragm govenor again all internal so no springs to fall off and the only maintanance required is to accasionally add some shims to the carby cam to compensate for wear and if you are not happy with the response time a new diaphragm every 20 years.

Now this should end up being more opinionated than on Oil thread.
For those with a curious & open mind this is the best history site for Victa but don't bother with their repair tutorials there is a good reason why they are called the Victa Vandalshttps://www.pushmowerrepair.com/identify-a-lawn-mower/identify-victa/

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Good Victa site. I like the appearances of the older 50s style Victas, clean and simple. I have nothing to offer reference the mechanics and reliability but, I have heard good things from some of our members who are from regions that have that brand.

I look forward to upcoming discussions reference these mowers, maybe even some pictures.

We all just need to make sure that we all remember not to bash some of the lower quality mowers, but feel free to share actual problems that we may have experienced. :2th:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was just upset that the original poster was so rude
If that is me you are talking about many pardons.
Nothing meant to be rude, just an oppertunity to be playful.
Always good to see what others think.

If my attitude to the clot who failed to do the slightest bit of research (called due dilligence ) about something he knew nothing about, then got duped and then expects every one else to pull him out of the poo, well tough luck to him.
If he was a person of little intelect then he would have my sympathies but he is obviously well educated & quite iltellegent but just plain lazy.

How does that quote go?

"Most people would rather die than think
Many succeed."

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Let's try and take this in a positive direction fellas and let bygones be bygones.
I was hoping to see a discussion reference the benefits of the Victa's.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What, No one going to tell me some thing else is better so we can have a debate ? :dunno:

Only Victas in the US would be in the top states brought down from Canada.
Victa did a swap with a company in Canada that did a 98cc single & 150cc twin.

Originally they sent Mustangs & latter Vortexs but apparently they were "too quiet" when running thus too dangerious to be sold into the USA.
With a good muffler they are a little quieter then a 325 sprint engine.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
You got one of them thar Victas bertsmobile? How 'bout a video and run down of your own personal experience with it so those of us here in North America who haven't seen any more than a picture of one can learn more about what we're missing?

I know I'm a big fan of the old 2 strokes that Jacobsen used to manufacture, I have a hoot of a time on my 2 stroke Puch and Yamaha mopeds, and I did use my 2 stroke Stihl chainsaw yesterday for a bit, but I'm thinking that the air quality folks saw some potential hazards in widespread use of 2 stokes to my neighbors and I, so they kind of put the brakes on the old line of thinking when it came to the old oil burners. But then, that might just be a good thing because it's sending the engineers back to the drawing board to figure out how to make them run cleaner.

Personally, rather than argue for fun, sport or whatever, I'd just plain like to hear more about those engines, especially the two cylinder one. I do like quiet engines myself.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
the US government came up with all sorts of "problems" which prevented something that was vastly superior to what was made locally ( Lawn Boy ) being sold in the USA but it was sold in over 40 other countries and is still exported in large numbers including to Canada where they filter down into the Eastern States.
This by the way is 100% true, Victa tried Over and over again from the early 60's onward to get their mowers sold in the states, the government came back with bogus and downright absurd excuses every time..
From Saying that Victa's Patented swinging blades (Blades pivot when hitting hard objects to avoid engine damage) would fly off and kill people,
To sighting Victa's One lever 4 wheel height adjustment system as being to Complicated (One lever, So complicated) I could go on for hours.

I've done extensive research about Victa over the years and I even have a few manuals about repairing them.. They are excellently designed and built pieces of power equipment and their engine design is so simple Someone with next to no mechanical knowledge could repair it easily.

Yes, Victas were imported for a short time to Canada (From about 1970 to about 1980) but export to Canada was scrapped after yet another failure to get Victas sold in the US made export to The americas not cost effective.

Victa exports mowers to other places though, England for example, and South Africa, as well as New Zealand and other oceanic countries.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how can an engine be too quiet?
The vortex is fully enclosed.
When the catcher is on it is just a little quieter than a 325 B & S sprint engine
Theory was it was so quiet that the operator would not know it was running and put their hands into the almost impossible to clog chute and cut their hands off.

The US wanted them to be fitted with a flashing light visible from 10 yards away to warn passers by and the operator that the mower was running.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You got one of them thar Victas bertsmobile? How 'bout a video and run down of your own personal experience with it so those of us here in North America who haven't seen any more than a picture of one can learn more about what we're missing?

I know I'm a big fan of the old 2 strokes that Jacobsen used to manufacture, I have a hoot of a time on my 2 stroke Puch and Yamaha mopeds, and I did use my 2 stroke Stihl chainsaw yesterday for a bit, but I'm thinking that the air quality folks saw some potential hazards in widespread use of 2 stokes to my neighbors and I, so they kind of put the brakes on the old line of thinking when it came to the old oil burners. But then, that might just be a good thing because it's sending the engineers back to the drawing board to figure out how to make them run cleaner.

Personally, rather than argue for fun, sport or whatever, I'd just plain like to hear more about those engines, especially the two cylinder one. I do like quiet engines myself.
I am a small engine workshop in Australia.
Got more Victas than I know what to do with.

The videos will have to wait as some one decided they needed my camers more than I did when I was at a shop getting some parts.

The twin was an imported engine fitted with the plastic G4 carb and dropped onto a mower chassis. These engines were inported from Canada AFAIK so i was hoping some one here would know who made them. I mean how may companies have made a horizontal opposed 2 stroke twin ?

I have a couple of them but to date never have been able to get them to run on both cylinders for very long, They will run all day swapping from the front to the rear with an occasion spurt of both cylinders.
Rhmours were that Merv was looking at this engine to power another light aircraft after production of the Victa Airtourer Victa Airtourer Aircraft history performance and specifications ceased.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The twin was an imported engine fitted with the plastic G4 carb and dropped onto a mower chassis. These engines were inported from Canada AFAIK so i was hoping some one here would know who made them. I mean how may companies have made a horizontal opposed 2 stroke twin ?
The twin/Lightweight (The Lightweight used essentially half the twin powerplant) Engines were designed and built by Victa, They were not imported to my knowledge.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep just like that one but when I sell them I put a functioning muffed on them.
Amazing how much quieter a muffler which still has baffles is.
Victal mufflers have 1 baffel and about a square foot of coarse wire mesh which burns / rusts out over time.
After all an aftermarket muffler is a whopping $ 8 wholesale and a genuine is about $ 14.
Looking at that video , Capstan's previous response comes immediately to mind
They are excellently designed and built pieces of power equipment and their engine design is so simple Someone with next to no mechanical knowledge could repair it easily
And if you want more proof go to the site I first linked to and check out their "instructional video tutorials" https://www.pushmowerrepair.com/diy-tutorials/

Made by a bunch of school kids at a local dump.
Mechanical experteses = Minus 5
Enterprise + 10

They made enough out of the Y tube videos to buy the web site ( very expensive down here in OZ ) set up a big parts retail business and put 2 of them through university

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is the photo bucket album of a mower enthusiast got a few vids of different Victas if you want to have a look.
http://s256.photobucket.com/user/newy1234/media/Mower/MOV00457.mp4.html

When I get the new camera I will do a side by side with one of the Vortex's and a Briggs so you can hear the difference.
His twins have the same problem as mine.
They almost work properly when standing still but crap out when used.
I still use mine regularly so they don't clag up from sitting as they all live outside.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts