My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the halycon days of the 70s, when I was but a wee lad, many relatives and family friends had dead mowers laying around. When asked what the deal was, the answer was invariably "Bent the shaft."

Now that I've bent eight or so blades in the last few years (I like the grass cut low, but in the end raised the deck...I can't afford to keep replacing 3-4 blades a season), I've been asked by my dad every time, "Did it bend the shaft?"

Leads me to a few questions for you peeps who have revived dead mowers:

1) Are bent shafts really that prevalent?
2) If so, were shafts that much worse back then, or blades that much worse now?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Blades will bend no matter what if you hit something good enough. The attachment points have keys that are designed to shear before causing further damage to the engine. I'm not in the repair business, but the mowers I have picked up have not had a "Bent shaft" issue, usually its a fuel related issue or a thrown connecting rod from poor maint. IE. no oil or lack of oil changes. Thats just my :2cents:

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I've never bent a shaft or a blade but have sheared a couple keys one blade and one flywheel on maple tree roots. My old boss had a mower with a bent crank. I think it was a metal pipe or some cement that caused it.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
I've never bent one either, and I did make some horrendous noises when I unintentionally hit some rocks once.:dunno: There is a Honda GCV160 on CL in my area that they say has a bent shaft. Good for parts they say. I just might have to go take a look at it to see for myself.:p

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had a good number of bent blades come into my garage in the past, but I have only seen three bent crankshafts. The cranks were so bent that the mower housings were cracked around their engine mounting bolts . Those babies sure shook and rattled when I started them up, it scared the crap out of me. The owners must have all run them for awhile to get that way..........:dunno:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I cant say that I've bent one either but like you, blueflame, I know what one sounds and feels like that is having worked at a JD dealership. Like you said, it is very startling... that's about the best way to describe it.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I was at my friends and his mom bought over a blade off her JD that looked like a question mark, and wanted us to fix it. I just said you need a new set of blades

She insisted we fix it so we "fixed" it, Im sure it destroyed the bearings on the deck

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
That fellow who had the GCV160 with the bent shaft on CL brought it over to my house and dropped it off. The end of the PTO wagged like a dog's tail when you pulled on the rope. I tore into the engine today, and yep, it's bent alright.

Other than crud in the bottom of the carb bowl from water caused by ethanol gas, the engine looks good. Time for another rebuild.:2th:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
That fellow who had the GCV160 with the bent shaft on CL brought it over to my house and dropped it off. The end of the PTO wagged like a dog's tail when you pulled on the rope. I tore into the engine today, and yep, it's bent alright.

Other than crud in the bottom of the carb bowl from water caused by ethanol gas, the engine looks good. Time for another rebuild.:2th:
Dang! I've never actually seen a crank out of an engine that was bent! Some thing for sure..

But then again, I've only seen Extremely small bends before I guess. :dunno:

-Stan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts