My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poulan Pro 300EX Lawn Tractor 42" Deck

I recently replaced the belt on my mower. I can mow with it for a while, but the belt eventually comes off. I can put it back on and continue mowing for a while, but it will come off again. The clutch engagement spring cable is on a sliding mount. I slid the mount further back to tighten the spring a little bit, and that seemed to help, but the belt still comes off.

I pulled the deck out to replace the belt, and I checked that all the pulleys spin freely. Could it be that the pulley engagement spring has gotten loose somehow? Or would a shorter belt help? All the hangers and belt keepers appear to be in place. The deck seems to be aligned properly as I am getting an even cut (when it cuts).

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. The belt that was on the mower when I acquired it came off almost immediately after the deck was engaged, which is why I ordered a new belt

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Are all the guards and such in place as they should be and is the belt routed correctly? I have a guard on my Honda that if isn't in place, the belt flies off quicker than I can engage the deck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are all the guards and such in place as they should be and is the belt routed correctly? I have a guard on my Honda that if isn't in place, the belt flies off quicker than I can engage the deck.
You know, I assumed all the belt guides were in place, but your post made me go back and look at the deck diagram. Looks like I'm missing a guide. Here's my deck

Looks like I'm missing this little belt keeper

$2.99

Husqvarna 532 19 92-04 Oem Keeper.Belt.Mower 532199204 | Belts, Bands & Spindles | Husqvarna | www.baileysonline.com

Maybe that will fix my issue. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Could be. Funny how such small inexpensive parts can be so important to machines that cost as much as they do.

Is there just the one belt for the whole thing, or is there a separate pelt from the tractor to the mower deck, and a second belt on the deck itself?

Another thing to look at would be those black rods on either side of the outer mandrels. It could be that they play a pretty important part in keeping the belt where it is supposed to be too. Close enough to keep the belt from jumping out of the pulley, but not so close as to rub on them too.

Are there a couple of covers that go over the outer mandrels too?

On my Honda, the guard on the right mandrel is the one that has to be in place or the belt pops off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there just the one belt for the whole thing, or is there a separate pelt from the tractor to the mower deck, and a second belt on the deck itself?
Just one belt for the mower deck

Another thing to look at would be those black rods on either side of the outer mandrels. It could be that they play a pretty important part in keeping the belt where it is supposed to be too. Close enough to keep the belt from jumping out of the pulley, but not so close as to rub on them too.
Yes, you were right, I am also missing a black rod. It snapped off somewhere along the way, leaving only 1 rod behind. The replacement part is also cheap. But here's what I'm missing

Are there a couple of covers that go over the outer mandrels too?

On my Honda, the guard on the right mandrel is the one that has to be in place or the belt pops off.
According to my manual for this model mower, there are not any black covers that go on the outer mandrels.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully these little belt keepers will fix the issue.

I was able to mow almost my entire yard before the belt came off, so I'm thinking that if it were something way out of alignment or bent or binding, it would be evident right when the deck was engaged. Of course, I could be (probably) wrong, but always best to start with the simple stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts