My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had the sincere pleasure of living out one of my worst nightmares and that is putting your hand into a glove that has a bee or a spider in it. In fact, you could say that I'm so paranoid about it that before I put on a pair of gloves that have been sitting for a while in the garage, I'll give them a good shake before I go treasure hunting for who knows what's in there.

When it comes to working on machines in the garage, it really depends upon my mood and the particular job at hand that persuades me one way or the other to wear mechanics gloves. I decided to wear them at the time of reinstalling the deck as there are a lot sharp edges and what not to work around while doing so. Anyway, at one point I received a call so I removed my gloves and went inside the house for five minutes.

Came back out the garage, started to put one of gloves back on and my pinky finger went.....

My GOLLLY!!! What on EARTH!!??! It literally felt like my pinky went straight into a nail. Woowwww that hurt. You'd think at that very moment I'd have immediate ripped the glove off but the pain overtook for a few moments and did nothing but try and understand what the heck just happened. I just had these gloves on. Then finally after I put two and together, I pulled that thing off and ran inside for baking soda. Wowww, it hurt.

Turned out to be a decent sized hornet, got me twice on the end of my finger. Swelled up and throbbed like a son of a gun.

Somebody, please invent clear gloves!!!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Yuk, that has to hurt, sorry to hear that. I think about the same thing every time I stick my hands and arms into the gauntlet/gloves on my bead blaster.
Hope you feel better! :)

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
I feel your pain (and share your fear of biting/stinging bees). :scratch:

Down here, we've got Copperheads, Cottonmouths and assorted other snakes. Not a problem and typically kill 'em or shoo them away if they're nonvenomous .... A bee or hornet?? I run like a little school girl.:bag:

·
Registered
499 Posts

Down here, we've got Copperheads, Cottonmouths and assorted other snakes. Not a problem and typically kill 'em or shoo them away if they're nonvenomous .... A bee or hornet?? I run like a little school girl.:bag:
Now there's a visual Mark! :sidelaugh Do you guys down south carry a scatter gun for the snakes? I'd have one of those Taurus Judge .410 revolvers at the ready if I lived down there, I don't do big, venomous snakes!

Hope the pinky feels better Austen! I throw gloves on all the time out in the garage, thankfully never found anything living in them. I did however have a Yellow Jacket go up my denim shorts one time, darn thing stung me 5 or 6 times before I finally smashed him. Thought I had something pointy in my pocket, didn't consider a bee. I hate Bees!

·
Banned
84 Posts
Ever see a 315 pound guy run faster than the fastest kid could in high school? That would be me when it comes to bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yuk, that has to hurt, sorry to hear that. I think about the same thing every time I stick my hands and arms into the gauntlet/gloves on my bead blaster.
Hope you feel better! :)
Thanks!

It's always a nerve racking feeling for sure. Think I might begin storing my work gloves inside but in this case it wouldn't have mattered.

Down here, we've got Copperheads, Cottonmouths and assorted other snakes. Not a problem and typically kill 'em or shoo them away if they're nonvenomous .... A bee or hornet?? I run like a little school girl.:bag: Today 05:07 PM
Thanks,

I'm the same way.

Ouch! Darn it all. Hope you squished that little devil!

Take care of that finger there buddy.
He's taken care of alright. In fact he was already pretty much dead when I shook him out of the glove.

Hope the pinky feels better Austen! I throw gloves on all the time out in the garage, thankfully never found anything living in them. I did however have a Yellow Jacket go up my denim shorts one time, darn thing stung me 5 or 6 times before I finally smashed him. Thought I had something pointy in my pocket, didn't consider a bee. I hate Bees!
That must have been awful!!

Yow! That was a nasty surprise! I guess it doesn't just happen in cartoons! I hope ya feel better quick!
Thanks, no kidding! Glad there was no reaction other than the pain.

Ever see a 315 pound guy run faster than the fastest kid could in high school? That would be me when it comes to bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets.
I'm right behind you there.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Yuck! I have thought that myself. Thank God your ok otherwise!

Reactions: Austen

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Eugh!!!!

We keep honeybees and they basically don't hurt you unless you provoke them..

But Wasps/Yellow Jackets/Hornets on the other hand.. Get the bug spray! I got stung by a hornet a few years ago and my hand swelled up like a football!

Glad you are OK Austen!

-Stan

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Austen, if you used the Diesel and smoked out neighborhood, this would NOT happen! :sidelaugh:dunno::howdy::sorry:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Austen, if you used the Diesel and smoked out neighborhood, this would NOT happen! :sidelaugh:dunno::howdy::sorry:
That's true!!

I always tell friends and family to not follow me, I'll follow them, or they'll be sorry. :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
:sarcasm: :sidelaugh:howdy::dunno::bag::sorry:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Now you've got me on trucks so I have to do a little update on the beast. :bag:

Ordered one of these B&W bad boys today so that I can finally tow with it, and you'll be seeing why soon. :ThumbUp:
-Had the oil cooler gaskets replaced as they were beginning to leak.
-Replaced under valve cover wiring harnesses
-Blacked out the turn signals on the front bumper as they looked awful before.
-Did my usual "hidden turn down behind the frame rail" exhaust exit
-Changed the oil (15 quarts of Amsoil)
-Rotated tires and had parking brake cables adjusted

Recent pic.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Now you've got me on trucks so I have to do a little update on the beast. :bag:

Ordered one of these B&W bad boys today so that I can finally tow with it, and you'll be seeing why soon. :ThumbUp:
-Had the oil cooler gaskets replaced as they were beginning to leak.
-Replaced under valve cover wiring harnesses
-Blacked out the turn signals on the front bumper as they looked awful before.
-Did my usual "hidden turn down behind the frame rail" exhaust exit
-Changed the oil (15 quarts of Amsoil)
-Rotated tires and had parking brake cables adjusted

Recent pic.
Wow Austen.. She's looking sharp! :cool

-Stan

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
:ThumbUp:

I keep a pair of work boots in the shed for use in the garden and have always had a fear of poking my foot into a be or spider in them. Always smack them together a few times and put my hand in them to check before putting them on. With the calluses on my hands from handling cardboard and steel all day long I would rather they were stung then my tender feet. :D

I think the hornets are the worse ones as far as burning pain. I shook some out of the stop sign post in the front yard while mowing and got hit about 3 or 4 times before I knew what happened they are so fast. Another time I shook wasp out from under the picnic table got it 3 or 4 times again from them. Never been hit by a yellow jacket. They seem more like honey bees and not normally aggressive unless your asking for it. I normally don't get much swelling from a sting and if I do it goes away fairly quickly. My cousin on the other hand is one of those people that gets a very bad allergic reaction from a bee sting that could kill him if he does not get treatment for it asap.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I can take any animal....until a wasp or hornet flies over my head. Then I'm off running and I'm not stopping. And I'm not exactly slow so I can get away pretty quick. I think my record for stopping, and jumping off a tractor is about 1.5 seconds.

Reactions: Austen

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.

I've had normal bee stings before that sting for a couple of hours or so afterwards but not anything quite to this extent.

Woke up last night to an irritated finger that was/still is itchy, stiff and warm. Makes typing at work fun. Ugh. Hurts to curl it; almost like a bad case of Athletes Foot only on your finger.

May be hard to tell in the photo the discoloration.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts