My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I'm looking for suggestions.. I'd imagine it's as difficult as an oil-based thread, but I'm trying to find a new battery charger. One that'll actually last.. we had a nice Die-Hard for a while, first the fan started to periodically act up, then the charge indicator would be incorrect, and now it doesn't STOP charging.. thing is, I need a charger that does GEL-cells too, which run the coils on some of my Hit and Miss engines. Does anyone know of a charger with a good reputation that'll do different sorts of batteries? I'd just get another like we had, but I never liked it anyway. Always have liked my little Battery-MINDer 1500 and it's brought back some long-dead batteries, but it's no good for any jumps or larger batteries, and larger MINDer's are rather.. expensive shall we say. Suggestions, anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
honestly, i think all the new ones are junk unless you go commercial. if i were you i would look around on cl and see what you could find from a retired mechanic or something. for exhample, this 200 amp one in new york-http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pts/5181750290.html

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
I sorta thought that simple trickle chargers [low amp] were the type used for gel cell...? If true, it's probably more cost effective to own two type of chargers to satisfy all needs..

·
Registered
57 Posts
For anyone still wondering about this I've been using a Battery Tender Jr. for several years now. It's a 'smart' charger meaning you can leave it on the battery indefinitely and it will regulate itself to keep the battery topped up. You just plug it in and forget about it. The first one I got was to keep my motorcycle battery charged over the winter. There's no need to remove or disconnect the battery. It comes with two leads; one with eyelets for a permanent installation and another with alligator clips. It can be used with gel, AGM, or traditional flooded batteries. While only rated at .75 amps it has no problem keeping car and truck batteries fully charged. I used them on two cars with AGM batteries, the truck with a conventional battery, and the motorcycle. They are inexpensive and work well. There are other brands out there but I haven't had any experience with those.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I just don't know what's best for gel cells ??
I have a Schumacher SSC-1000a that I love and I've had it a lot of years (7-10) but it's finally starting to get a little noisy and I think the fan is on it's way out. I'd likely replace it with the same thing.
For jumping I have a 50/10/2 - > http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...omatic-starter-charger-with-2-led/412270_0_0/
Makes me think of the diehard charger I have. Received as a gift for x-mas years ago and it has been left out in the rain many times. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking :ROFL

·
Registered
15 Posts
That trickle battery charger idea is pretty good. Letting a battery stand for an extended period and letting it get low, then hitting it with a high charge rate, is not good for a battery. By getting low, I mean such that you get little or no cranking power. You can get a lot more life out of a battery by not letting it deep discharge. Even a deep-cylce battery should not remain in deep discharge for extended periods. If you have one in your boat or RV, recharge it as soon as you get home.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I have two of the trickle chargers/maintainers now myself and like them. I have a lighter socket adapter for the one which works great on a car that I don't have on the road much and only for short drives. I plug it in for a day about once a month to keep it topped off. The display on the charger tells me when it changes from charge to maintain mode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts