My Lawnmower Forum banner

Bad summer.

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bwhitsonjr 
#1 ·
I posted about the problems with belts on the AWD model. I've now got a 20332. Was mowing for hopefully the last time this year, when the belt came off. I asked the guy if I could change the belt myself, and he said that it took a special tool for something. With all the trouble I've had, I sure would like to learn how to change the belt. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Does this help? :dunno:

Sorry to hear you've experience trouble with this model. My parents have had good luck with theirs for 3 years even though it's model 20334. This is the personal pace/electric start version... Not AWD capable. I could see where that would present an issue though :soap:

#4 ·
I've got to agree with bwdbrn1. If the guides are in place and intact, you should check for all the transmission fasteners being in place and torqued. Something's getting loose and/or out of alignment for the belt to come off. Good time to change the oil and check the blade condition while you're in there once you've corrected the belt problem.
I'd bet the "special tool" mentioned was probably the torque wrench to tighten the blade bolt or the wood block. If you've got a torque wrench it's probably a good idea to use it, but I always just get it good and tight but not carried away. Don't forget, any time a mower is on it's side remove the plug wire like in the video.

#5 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. The video looks like it is fairly simple. I have a 2 year warranty so I guess it's best to take the mower to them. The 20232 is brand new and I mowed about 3 times with it. In previous years I have little to no problems. This year with the AWD one and the 20232, I have broken or the belts have came off 5 times.
I mow the same way and the yard is the same. There is one question. This year I just use the mulcher, and I set the wheels very close to the ground. Could any of the things cause a belt to have a tendency to come off or break? Really looking for reasons the belts are messing up. With a new mower, you would think that every thing is set right. Thanks.

#6 ·
ron815... I would be asking some of the same questions you are. I don't think with those settings on the lawn mower would negatively affect the belt more coming off VS what I'm guessing the previous setting were with a higher setting and using the side discharge? If you had zero problems with it setup that way then it would lead me to believe something was going wrong somewhere. I wish you luck and hope you get the problem solved soon! Keep in touch!

#7 ·
I would tend to think that the manufacturers of these mowers would test them in conditions far worse than the average home owner would, and mulching in the low setting you describe would most likely be one of them. I'm still inclined to believe that something wasn't set up right on the mowers you've gotten, or there'd be a big outcry in the consumer world about these things failing. If yours is still under warranty, then you are correct in taking it to the dealership to have them service it, but I'd have a list of questions ready to ask when you got there.

#8 ·
well.... I'm confused, because in your first post you said it's a model 20332 (Toro) and in one of your later posts say 20232 (for which I can't find anything).... so I'm going to assume it's the 20332 REAR-wheel drive model, and since you say it's fairly new I'm looking at the diagram for a 2014 model here:
Toro 20332C - Toro 22 Recycler Lawn Mower (SN: 314000001 - 314999999) (2014) TRANSMISSION AND REAR WHEEL DRIVE ASSEMBLY Diagram and Parts List | PartsTree.com

so my first questions would be:
- check the drive pulley and the pulley on the transmission to make sure they're not bent/damaged/nicked? running true? nice and smooth all around?
- got the rear baffle installed correctly? out of alignment?
- got the belt guide installed correctly? not interfering with the belt?
- got the transmission bracket installed correctly? not interfering with the belt?

those out of the way, did you pull the blade driver off? (the thing on the bottom of the crank with the pulley built into it?) did you make sure to re-install the drive spacer bushing (Toro #106-3999) properly? (that little widget will cause you all kinds of grief... ask me how I know this.)

you got something out of kilter if you're tossing that many belts.

belt only 1/8" out of alignment will cause problems. make sure your drive pulley (on what Toro calls the "Blade Driver" (Toro #186-3987) lines up properly with the pulley on the transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.