My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My day didn't start out well Monday morning! I went to the shop , fired the stove & cleaned the ash pan, apparently, I dropped a hot coal. I looked out a 1/2 hour or so later to see flickering behind the shop. Checked it, called the Fire Department, but all they could do was hold it down. It's insured & will be replaced, the basic building as soon as I can, then I'll do the inside work myself, replacing tools as needed. Don't expect insurance to cover everything & many of the tools are older, but I won't replace everything.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I'm very sorry to see that.
I'm glad nobody was hurt. Fires are a scary thing.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Insurance adjuster was here Wednesday, well satisfied with the check she wrote for the structure! "Inventory company" hired by the insurance hasn't scheduled yet to go over the contents. I have a 3-1/2 page list so far & pictures shown below (recliner was there due to shoulder surgery a couple weeks before).

Had to make a trip to ST Joe, MO Tuesday anyway, so I picked up some tools to get me started; 20V Porter Cable cordless set, shop vac, hammer, screwdriver set, pliers set, a few clamps, glue, tape, etc. Yesterday I picked up a 16" Delta scroll saw like the one I had off CL & a new Porter Cable 12-1/2" thickness planer.

Some sorting done today & more working on the list!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened to you! Praise God no one was hurt!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Truly sorry for the loss, the check will help but I'm sure some stuff was special. Any old iron you see salvageable needs an oil bath.
I had a fire loss years ago. Don't kick that stinking mess around longer than you can stand it. And don't bother going to Sears.
My fire loss was residential, had a tool box in spare room and had screwdriver handles melt inside the box.. I still have a couple pieces of antique furniture that made it but still smells like it.
I look at your charred mess and can smell it. I wish you the best, get some new stuff to rebuild it like you want to ! OH, don't forget to thank local fire department...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dern, it may not be an educated observation.. But had the building not been metal exterior it may have burned faster and not been so intense inside. Gosh I'm feeling it for you.:dunno:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Truly sorry for the loss, the check will help but I'm sure some stuff was special. Any old iron you see salvageable needs an oil bath.
I had a fire loss years ago. Don't kick that stinking mess around longer than you can stand it. And don't bother going to Sears.
My fire loss was residential, had a tool box in spare room and had screwdriver handles melt inside the box.. I still have a couple pieces of antique furniture that made it but still smells like it.
I look at your charred mess and can smell it. I wish you the best, get some new stuff to rebuild it like you want to ! OH, don't forget to thank local fire department...
Done, cookies delivered Wednesday! Actually, that's how I made my living for 29 years, retired 10 years ago. Only know one of the current full-time firefighters now & some of the volunteers.

Not much can be salvaged, too much heat! Maybe a few wrenches that were in drawers in the cooler end of the shop.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Look for good replacements,, did you mention a Delta saw...
Yes, I've already picked up a good used Delta scroll saw just like the one I had!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thats great. The delta being a scroll saw It's interesting that you would desire that as a soon replacement. Do you do intricate woodwork ? Congrats on finding a good replacement. What's the vintage of the saw?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats great. The delta being a scroll saw It's interesting that you would desire that as a soon replacement. Do you do intricate woodwork ? Congrats on finding a good replacement. What's the vintage of the saw?
Not really intricate, at least not enough to justify the high dollar saws. This one is a 2002+ era, but used very little!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wife got called in to sub today (teaching), so while her car was out, I took over the warm garage to clean up some of the hand tools that made it through the fire OK. 1/4" & 3/8" sockets; SAE & metric, standard & deep well, Allen head, Torx head, ratchets, etc. Also several combination wrenches up to 3/4", couple of vise grips & adjustable wrenches. None were hot enough to damage, just sooty, tried some solvents with no luck, so I went to a 6" brass wire wheel. Need to give them a light coat of lubricant & wipe them down now!

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
:ditto: Good to hear your able to do some salvage of old friends.

Might be the old trick of washing soda in a bucket of water and a couple of electrodes connected to a battery charger would clean up the areas you cannot get buffed?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finished taking the metal siding off the shop. I'm hoping all the scrap metal will bring enough to pay for my gas to haul it to the scrapyard! Otherwise, I'l have to pay the trash service to take it.

I put the plastic on to keep the last snow out, had to go to the lumberyard for plastic & nails!

It would be nice to have it down in the next couple of weeks!

Attachments

Reactions: Mark / Ohio
1 - 20 of 98 Posts