My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spent some quality time with my 185 this morning. Pulled the fuel shutoff solenoid, previously found it to be the problem it wouldn't start last fall, it's the snowblower! Pushed on it and it broke free. Added some carb cleaner around the base to try and get some inside and then slowly and carefully chucked the pintle up in a drill and slowly rotated the pintle while applying pressure in different directions on the body of the solenoid. It did a great job of freeing up the pintle and it's back operating. Saves me the sixty bucks and shipping that M122917 runs ! Just need to see how long my "backyard" repair lasts.
Now to paint the thing and get rid of that peach color !!!!

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I agree with you about it's looks. Very embarrassed driving home with my purchase and pulling into a gas station to fill the truck with this sitting in the trailer and people driving by slowly trying to figure out what the heck it was.
Was worse with the body panel painted to match. I had a spare body panel to swap since I had to pull it to replace pulleys and hydro fluid. Just behind the rear wheel on the picture above you can see a square, it's the bottom of a wheelie bar. It was a young girls pulling tractor named "Princess Peach". There was a princess sticker on each side of the hood.
It has a little gas tank under the hood and the main gas tank was full of sand for ballast. I did a lot of work and parts on it the first couple weeks I had it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had done some research and all I had seen was suggestions of pulling the solenoid and cutting/grinding off the tip and installing a shutoff in line. Or spending the $60+ to go new. :(

Luckily I came across someone who recommended soaking it in carb cleaner so I checked continuity and since that was good thought I'd see if I could resurrect it.

If I can get a winters worth of snow blowing out of it I might be more inclined to start and make it look and run more like a Deere again.

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I always thought hydro wasn't good for pulling? Anyway great repair! Glad to see another John Deere 180/185.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I always thought hydro wasn't good for pulling? Anyway great repair! Glad to see another John Deere 180/185.
A gear driven trans can be a more desired option in a modified class where one may be needing to change their gear ratio for example (ie; installing larger rear tires) whereas a hydro does not offer this ability so easily.

In a stock class, I think you'll be hard pressed to find one dominating one over the other in terms of attendance at the start & finish lines but that's a discussion for another day.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No clue on pulling, just wanted something I could mount the blower on and then just use the 160 for mowing and not have to mess with the changeover each spring and summer. The blower from the 160 just dropped right on. That way all I have to do is move the battery twice a year.
Once I get the Wheel Horse lined out and back in good condition I'll likely be sending both JDs down the road and keep the Sears for a backup and trailer puller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts