My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went cutting today after dewinterizing the 8hp vertical shaft engine. in third gear It will bog down about every 50ft then catch its breath and continue on. but doesnt do it in first gear. fuel line is fine. i can run it down the road in the fifth gear without the blade engaged and no problems. any ideas .. spark plug, ? etc thanks

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
My first thought is check the vent in your fuel cap or tank to make sure you not pulling a vacuum in it. Fuel filter is second thought. When running with the blades and the engine loaded you moving more fuel then just driving load on the engine. Mowing faster puts more grass on the blades and increases the load on the engine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks mark, check back in a day or two (raining) I will double check everything and post back. it seemed yesterday that the only time I would encounter the problem was when the blade was engaged. Ill check the fuel line , filter and cap. and find out if in fact, it only looses power when the blade is engaged cutting grass. thanks again mark!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hm replaced fuel line, filter, and fuel cap is vented. so? I noticed when running I can move the governor arm and it will speed up. I imagine that is normal. the engine rpm's are slowing way down then picking back up, it does this about every 50 ft or so. Would the idle mixture screw have an effect at full throttle? Does this sound like a plugged/fouled main jet? It also does this in first and second gear, just not nearly as often.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Dirt in your idle ports can mess up full throttle and the two do interact some on adjustments. I had that problem (dirt in the idle circuit of the carb) with my Briggs 6hp power washer a couple years ago. The more load it had the worse it ran and would intermittently miss from running so lean.

Sounds like your governor is fine. You don't want to mess with them unless you absolutely have to as they can be a real pain to get reset to work right again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It wasn't a big deal. The idle screw was buggered at the tip. I don't know if I did that or it was like that when I got it. Anyway it wouldn't run or start at the factory setting of 1 1/2 turns out. A repairman gave me a used mixture screw and it fired up at about 1 turn out or there abouts. Waiting to see (raining) if the original problem can be solved with careful tuning.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Thanks for keeping us up to date on your progress....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
runs excellent now, I messed up by bottoming the idle mixture screw and setting it to spec., when I should have just slightly trimmed the fuel mixture and been done with it. Now I can idle it down without chocking on the unburnt fuel. thanks all for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Glad you got it figured out! Now you can do what we all love to do... :2th:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts