My Lawnmower Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
neighbor pulled the switch, yup, easy. Fiddled with it and got it to function. But I killed the battery leaving the key on. He hooked up a small charger and though we can hear the click that it's trying, either his charger isn't enough, or my battery is fried, or it's something else. It's scheduled to go BACK AGAIN to the darn shop. Just getting it onto the trailer is a pain. It won't go into neutral so it's literally a matter of sliding this 600 lb best onto the trailer.

The saga continues. (NEVER EVER should have bought this old thing.)

·
Registered
686 Posts
How is it coming ??

Did you give it a couple hours to charge up and get it started so you could drive it on the trailer ??

I just got done in another thread telling someone about a hard start issue with these. There is a kit from JD to cure excessive cranking to get it started. I did a DIY version as I have a few extra relays from adding driving lights and my machine used to crank and crank and crank. Sometimes it would just click like a dead battery but I knew the battery was charged. It's due to all the safeties in the starting circuit. The seat safety, neutral safety, PTO safety, ... any of which can get some corrosion and soon you don't have enough juice making it through the circuit for the ignition or starter to work properly. This is a cheap and easy fix and well worth doing.
The kit from JD is AM107421

John Deere Starting Improvement Relay Kit - AM107421

DIY instructions: Starter Assist Relay Assembly and Install - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi frog,

The thing is working, barely. It should make it for the last few mowings this season then come spring we'll just get something newer.

I changed that switch, easy peasy. Fired right up. I have to keep the cutting deck raised or it just kills the engine. It cuts ok, (actually beats the grass into submission. One side of the mount is just plain worn out and the whole deck rides cockeyed. So I get these angled passes of cut grass. But bottom line, CUT grass. GOod enough for now.)

Mine does have a black lever on the floor in front of the seat and no one knows what it's for. It doesn't seem to be connected to ANYTHING. Just a knob rattling around in a hole. Even the guys at John Deere didn't have a clue. (I do not have a whole lot of faith in their mechanics and told them as much. We will NOT be dropping any 3 grand on a new deere if they can't fix the simplest things on my old one. Most likely 1500 on some box store cheapo model.) Sales guy said the 3,000 model would last 20 years or more. The 1500.00 models might make it to ten. So… what's the difference????

Anyway thanks for all the support. Hoping it just keeps working for the next month or so.
And with any luck runs in spring…. right to the curb with a make offer sign. lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi frog,

The thing is working, barely. It should make it for the last few mowings this season then come spring we'll just get something newer.

I changed that switch, easy peasy. Fired right up. I have to keep the cutting deck raised or it just kills the engine. It cuts ok, (actually beats the grass into submission. One side of the mount is just plain worn out and the whole deck rides cockeyed. So I get these angled passes of cut grass. But bottom line, CUT grass. GOod enough for now.)

Mine does have a black lever on the floor in front of the seat and no one knows what it's for. It doesn't seem to be connected to ANYTHING. Just a knob rattling around in a hole. Even the guys at John Deere didn't have a clue. (I do not have a whole lot of faith in their mechanics and told them as much. We will NOT be dropping any 3 grand on a new deere if they can't fix the simplest things on my old one. Most likely 1500 on some box store cheapo model.) Sales guy said the 3,000 model would last 20 years or more. The 1500.00 models might make it to ten. So… what's the difference????

Anyway thanks for all the support. Hoping it just keeps working for the next month or so.
And with any luck runs in spring…. right to the curb with a make offer sign. lol.
I think I'd stay away from that repair shop, that lever in front of your seat twists and puts the mower in freewheel mode so you can push it but you have to hold it the entire time

21 - 24 of 24 Posts