My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My beloved 12 year old riding mower recently failed me this past weekend. I had loss of power and engine noises that sounded like high rpm and clicking and clanking inside the engine. I pulled the valve cover off to

1) check valves to ensure they were adjusted to spec.
2) test compression release by turning motor and watching the intake valve

Test 2 above failed and my engine compression release has failed. I don’t see the intake valve going up and then down. The intake valve goes up and then stays in this position with a large amount of air exhausting out my air intake by the filter. My assessment is my Briggs has an internal engine problem and will most likely need cam repair. Question to the community. Should I

1)take engine to a professional for an estimate
2) bite the bullet and buy a new mower

I appreciate your opinions in this matter. Very sad to see my mower in this condition.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If the intake valve is coming up in the head, then it should be sealing off the intake ports.... unless the valve snapped for some reason
first let's start by identifying this engine, post the model and type numbers, they are usually stamped onto the valve cover.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would chose option #1, but ask them if the engine is salvageable or its dead, they are professionnal, and you don't have to pay much for it, I think I paid 40 bucks to have my engine check to make sure it was dead or not, but it was worth it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts