My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local dealers and repair shops are, understandably, too busy to help with what I think is a simple problem. And, there doesn't appear to be a match online (Youtube) for how to replace this spring. There can only be two ways, right? But what end up happening is the idler pullet snugs up against the drive wheel and stops the wheel - and hence the drive belt - from spinning - and the forward motion stops as a result. There is a small hole in the deck where one end should go, and a slot on the armature attached to to the Idler Pulley. But the spring actually brings the two pulleys CLOSER together - rather than adds tension to keep them apart and the belt taut.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Tom... [email protected]

·
Registered
Ariens zoom 42 model 915159
12 Posts
Any chance the idler pulley can be put on the opposite side (half) of the belt? The notch in the idler arm suggest to me that's what needs to be done. If all is set up per print than the belt could be stretched or the pulleys worn. Is that the correct print?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any chance the idler pulley can be put on the opposite side (half) of the belt? The notch in the idler arm suggest to me that's what needs to be done. If all is set up per print than the belt could be stretched or the pulleys worn. Is that the correct print?
Yes, the print is correct, i.e., from the correct manual for this model. I like your thinking - that the belt should be on the other side of the pulley, but that wont work either.

I actually ordered a new engine crank shaft pulley and a new belt,too, believing, as you have, that either one was worn.

My last thought is to replace the tension spring, which I have ordered and expect to receive in a few days. I'll be sure to update you when i put in on. What still nags at me is the fact that the two pulleys need to be separated, not brought together, so if the new spring doesn't wotk, well, I hate to say it, but I might have to leave it in a shop for a few weeks and let them fix it.

Thank you for your persistence and support to date, sir.

Tom
617 834 4025 c

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi I just looked at your picture on my computer and not my cell phone. I also looked at the bottom of my Ariens walk behind. I think you need to move that idler pulley all the way over to the oppisite side of the drive pulley. In the picture the idler arm pivot is centered on the drive pulley so it should swing over to the other side. I say this because the notch in the idler arm is where my spring is and it pulls the idler pulley towards the center. I know this does not match your print but you can move it with out the spring on and tension it by hand and see what you think. I tried to snip your picture and put an arrow be I stink at this computer stuff. If you want I can try a hand picture . Good luck, you'll get it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi I just looked at your picture on my computer and not my cell phone. I also looked at the bottom of my Ariens walk behind. I think you need to move that idler pulley all the way over to the oppisite side of the drive pulley. In the picture the idler arm pivot is centered on the drive pulley so it should swing over to the other side. I say this because the notch in the idler arm is where my spring is and it pulls the idler pulley towards the center. I know this does not match your print but you can move it with out the spring on and tension it by hand and see what you think. I tried to snip your picture and put an arrow be I stink at this computer stuff. If you want I can try a hand picture . Good luck, you'll get it.
Hello Stranger ... I continue to be amazed at your willingness to help. Others , few as they were, have fallen by the wayside. And I don't blame them ... not their problem, as they say. I'll re-examine the idler pulley placement option as you have described and reply back. You must be from the Midwest U.S, as those have been some of the kindest folk I've ever met ... though I have met wonderful people like you all over the U.S. and around the globe in my travels and age ... many thanks. BTW, is there any advice I could possibly give you to return the favor???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Stranger ... I continue to be amazed at your willingness to help. Others , few as they were, have fallen by the wayside. And I don't blame them ... not their problem, as they say. I'll re-examine the idler pulley placement option as you have described and reply back. You must be from the Midwest U.S, as those have been some of the kindest folk I've ever met ... though I have met wonderful people like you all over the U.S. and around the globe in my travels and age ... many thanks. BTW, is there any advice I could possibly give you to return the favor???
Newbie 5 ..... Before I get too excited, I have to tell you that after rerouting the belt so the idler pulley is centered on the drive sheave as pictured in the user manual, as you suggested I do, the machine took off down the driveway! BUT ... once I hit the grass (which is wet today from overnight rain) the self propulsion stopped!!!! What the heck!!!???

I then thought it was was the friction wheel, i.e. slipping in the wet grass. So I stopped the engine, engaged the drive at the handlebar and tried to push the mower forward. I couldn't - since the main drive pulley was stationary and the friction wheel was engaged. So THAT is not the issue. I'm MUCH closer now, thanks to you, but in reality, have the same problem. I'll wait til Wed when the rain stops, the sun shines and the grass dries.

In the meantime, I welcome any new thoughts and am grateful for your help!

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes closer. Can you take a picture as it is now? I would like to know we are on the same page. Years ago mine started slipping going up a fairly steep hill in my back yard. I decided to replace the belt at my local Ariens dealer. The tech there told me to replace the pulley at the mower blade as they were aluminum and do wear form sand and dirt. The belt starts riding too low in the pulley. It's been great ever since I did that. Also thanks for the kind words, I'm happy to try and help. ( Tim from CT.) ☺

·
Registered
12 Posts
On second thought, depending what speed the mower was in it might not move. On mine I can remove the drive wheel cover and watch the friction disc and see if it spins when the mower stops. If it spins that would say it at the friction wheel. If the disc stops that would be belt and pulley issue. My unit is the Ariens model 911073, sn 003347, (1997) I'll see if I can load the two pictures my manuals show.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So here's the success story folks! And a chance to teach a few old dogs like me new tricks!

At the outset of the posting, my self propelled mower didn't propel.

I thought the culprit was either the drive belt or drive shaft pulley, both of which i replaced! After having done that, it still didn't work. I even thought it was the friction wheel, so I ordered that part, too, but it has yet to arrive. I was desperate ... In fact, it had been raining and even a new wheel would have proven useless ... I was impatient, frustrated and in despair!!

But, Newbie5 has shown me the error of my ways. Despite having an owners manual with illustrations and instructions, I had the drive belt threaded around idler pulley incorrectly. (see attached photo with the right installation!). Now, the mower flies down the driveway and over the (dry) grass!!!! Hooray!!!

Newbie5 stuck with me all the way, reading my 5 different posts, posting reply instructions, photos, etc. over the course of an entire week ... wait til I get the bill!!!

The lessons learned?

1) Be grateful for this forum and those like Newbie 5 who give freely of their time, wisdom and experience
2) You don't know it all until its all over ...
3) Best to admit #2 above early on in life. It will save time, money, and anguish for you and those around you!
4) Listen, watch and learn. Be patient and persistent, then succeed!
5) Get ready to help others ....

Many thanks to Newbie5 again and to all the folks who replied. How can i help you???

Sincerely,
Tom from Pittsfield, Massachusetts

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Plant

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to thank the OP and Newbie 5 for this.

I had exactly the same problem, and I couldn't find a solution anywhere until I found this. My issue was exactly the same as the OP - the idler pulley was on the wrong side of the belt and so the spring wasn't sitting correctly. I was replacing my parts after the idler and drive belt busted, so I didn't have the luxury of seeing how it had been set up beforehand.

Many thanks from Australia.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just wanted to thank the OP and Newbie 5 for this.

I had exactly the same problem, and I couldn't find a solution anywhere until I found this. My issue was exactly the same as the OP - the idler pulley was on the wrong side of the belt and so the spring wasn't sitting correctly. I was replacing my parts after the idler and drive belt busted, so I didn't have the luxury of seeing how it had been set up beforehand.

Many thanks from Australia.
Glad to know that our posts were of help!!! Best of (Covid) health to you and yours in beautiful AussieLand this Holiday Season! Send pics! [email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.