My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1985 Ariens GT-17 tractor at an auction. Didn't intend to buy it but, auction said it ran, got there, didn't run. No one wanted to bid on it, started out at 500 went down to 10 bucks. Got it for 50 dollars.

Complete tractor in excellent shape. Ran into some issues, realized it was too heavy to load into the truck not running. Ran home grabbed my dad, a tool box, and some starting fluid. It hadn't been started in 5 years. No spark. Cleaned the points, reset the point gap, cleaned the nasty plugs, cleaned the coil wire connections, tightened everything up. A little starting fluid and she fired up and ran like a dream.

Got it home and realized the rear output for the PTO on the sunstrand pump is leaking around the shaft. Tore it apart, found the leaking seal. Found the seal on on ebay, seal had an SKF number on it. Auction wanted 10.95 for seal, got from a local bearing house for 2.90.

Now, to pull the seal, Every other one I've done I put a good quality self tapping screw in there and was able to pry it out. Can I do this on this seal? I don't want to mess something up.

Second question the darn steering is loose. Like 6" of play in the wheel. Where does this commonly come from? Loose tie rod ends? Wear in the steering box? Wanting to know where to start?

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Not familiar with that seal but take a look at the new seal and see if you have clearance behind it for the screw to go into as not to nick any surfaces. Have you tried a regular seal puller or are you trying to do this with out removing any shaft? If so, just be patient.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts