My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Todays project was replacing the tired Tecumseh with a Kawasaki FJ180V.
I'd just finished using it and the sun was going down so I had just rinsed off a layer of dust real quick

This was a bit more involved than my last LM21 repower a couple weeks ago because I had to obtain a new drive pulley and blade adapter. Both the pulley and the blade adapter were Snapper parts purchased at a reasonable price from Ebay.

I had to custom cut the key for the blade adapter. I'd done this once before, and it's much easier than it looks.

http://www.justwebspace.com/G2/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSC04136.JPG

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The one on the right I just picked up a few days ago. I've not touched it yet. It has a blade clutch, so the repower there may be a challenge.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, I'm really not a fan of the swivel wheels. I want to be, but I like the fixed front wheels more. I used this mower with the swivel wheels a few times last fall, and perhaps I should try it a few more times, but as I said, I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You know, I'm really not a fan of the swivel wheels. I want to be, but I like the fixed front wheels more. I used this mower with the swivel wheels a few times last fall, and perhaps I should try it a few more times, but as I said, I'm not a fan.
On some mowers, the swivel wheels can be locked in the straight-ahead position.

My dad has an Ariens clone like this with the front casters and I've used it several times. I can't say that I like it or hate it one way or another - it does take some getting used to. I did mow on some side slopes with it and didn't really have any issues keeping the machine pointed straight even with the casters unlocked.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice job on the engine swap! That was a great upgrade to it. You made it look factory and you have really nice looking line up there too. :cool

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dbert, sweet looking lineup you have there. Great job on the motor swap too. I know you said you don't like the swivel wheels, but it looks great man, nice work.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I think My 21LMSX Is getting ready for a Repower, A Kawasaki Was one of the choices I was looking at, Either that or a 2 Cycle Suzuki.. But the 'Zuki seems like it would be more involved.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that would work.
I haven't figured out what I am going to do with my new one.
When you first showed us this machine, I didn't know they made them with a blade clutch. Now I own one.

It seems to be in really good shape except for the old Tecumseh that has leaked oil all over the place and appears to have been doing so for a long time. I have the goal of repowering this 3rd one and retaining this BBC function.
Can you tell me what I am missing here?
A small lever or something to unlock the bail? The gate moves easily with a press of the fingers, but that cant be how it was supposed to work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, and I missed out on yet another one of these machines today that looked to be in good shape. Only $25. Ad was an hour old when I saw it and someone was already coming to look at it. It sold.
Two of the three that I have were literally found only a few blocks from my house, and both were $40 each. The swivel wheel machine was 30 minutes away and I probably paid too much at $75. They all ran, but with tired leaky TRS120 Tecumseh's.
One funny thing about these older Ariens (and Scotts and Husqvarna re-bage versions) popping up regularly... I never see old Lawnboys for sale here. Ever. Must be a regional thing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I decided that I might be picking up another ariens this weekend and putting the honda on that. I need new tires and the bagger on my other machine I have yet to show you.

You need a little orange plate that is half rounded that says engage. I will most likely know if this machine will be for parts this weekend. If so you might want to make a list of what you want. I will shoot a picture of what it looks like tommorrow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Where do you live? I am in the Boston area. I see these all the time. I picked up three free machines tonight. One happened to be a scotts tecumseh 6.75 with key start.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think My 21LMSX Is getting ready for a Repower, A Kawasaki Was one of the choices I was looking at, Either that or a 2 Cycle Suzuki.. But the 'Zuki seems like it would be more involved.
I have a 2 stroke Suzuki that I considered swapping to one of these. Biggest problem is there is nothing wrong with the Toro deck it is mounted to.
The weight of one of these with the Suzuki (compared with this Kawasaki especially) would be fun to experience.
On the other end of the spectrum...I've also considered a new HF Predator. But not this latest acquisition with the BBC. I dont want to void the warranty fresh out of the box cutting the shaft down for the blade clutch. I may follow Mikes lead with a used Honda.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where do you live? I am in the Boston area. I see these all the time. I picked up three free machines tonight. One happened to be a scotts tecumseh 6.75 with key start.
Wow. Good to know. I've heard some say they never see these come up for sale in their area so I wasn't sure. I never see (older) Lawnboys, and thats all they talk about at MTF. I'm in the Rockies of Utah.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. Not what I was expecting. I was looking at the wrong BBC breakdown and saw this big knob thingy. Any guesses what this is for on the models that have it? See attached.

The only reason I understand what the "3" on this knob is for is because mine actually still has the sticker for 1 and 2 (on throttle and pull start handle bracket).

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
The knob looks like the cable tension. Does the diagram show a top hold down latch to engage the lock on the clutch?

On my machine you slide the orange button and hold down the latch that is like a an engine brake.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts