My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
The old engine was very tired. Leaked oil. smoked and had low compression.
Replaced the old Tecumseh engine with a Briggs and Stratton off a much newer mower. I had to drill new holes in the deck, but otherwise most everything fell into place. The shaft size and length was exactly the same so the drive pulley and blade adapter swapped right over. It starts on first pull every time. I still need to find the right engine brake/kill cable. I'm using one off the donor Brute mower for the moment.

These are great decks, and will become my primary mower for our house replacing my Snapper Hi-vac.

Heres the old motor, and another project Ariens deck in the background.

I've been hanging out at the SnowBlowerForums a lot and the Ariens enthusiasm there must have affected me.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Nice job!! Looks real good!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used some Krylon Fusion (for plastic) orange on a couple pieces of the new engine. It doesn't match the ariens orange very well, but I didn't want to use plain old spray paint. The Fusion works pretty well with plastics. Still, it helped make it look more like the engine belongs on this deck.

I wish the Ariens decal wasn't peeling off. This deck must be at least 20 years old. and it's in good condition considering.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm wanting to figure out how old this mower is.
Anyone know what decade this original engine was from?

Another view of the old engine I'm trying to find the decade for.

Or what years Ariens used this model number?

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Great work and nice pics!! That's great that you did the engine swap. You made it look just like factory too!

Thanks for posting and keep the up the excellent work. :ThumbUp::ThumbUp:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found out these were available in the 80's, and with the low Ariens model number and the Tecumseh date code of an "8" I'm going with a 1988 model.
A 27 year old version of this.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Nice job dbert. Orange is a nice color. It looks like something alien in that straight on picture.

From what I've read in looking around, those last four digits indicate the date of manufacture. The first one, 8 is the last digit year meaning, 1978, 1988 or 1998 since Tecumseh didn't get any more specific. So you're most likely correct with 1988. The next three digits are the day of manufacture, the 321st day of 1988. So wish it a happy birthday on November 17th.:ROFL

What plans do you have for that other one with the swivel wheels?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey dbert (it's Ray from snowblowerforum) it looks better than factory IMO. She's a beauty, the Orange trim on the engine was a great idea too. I love the look of those Ariens mowers, definitely on my want list, they are hard to come by.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice job dbert. Orange is a nice color. It looks like something alien in that straight on picture.

From what I've read in looking around, those last four digits indicate the date of manufacture. The first one, 8 is the last digit year meaning, 1978, 1988 or 1998 since Tecumseh didn't get any more specific. So you're most likely correct with 1988. The next three digits are the day of manufacture, the 321st day of 1988. So wish it a happy birthday on November 17th.:ROFL

What plans do you have for that other one with the swivel wheels?
It does look a bit creepy. We will find out if its a good Transformer or an evil Megatron over the summer.

I was focused on the year and didn't pay much attention to the day code. Being that late in the year we will say this is a 1989 model and round it down to a 25 year old machine since this season has just started.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do with the swivel wheel machine. It could use a repower also. I have some good candidate engines (including a Kawasaki FJ180), but that original engine appears to have a funky splined crankshaft mated to the blade adapter/pulley. I tried to pull the blade adapter off last fall, but it was rusted on and I gave up. Will give it another look soon. Perhaps sitting all winter with pb blaster has done some good.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Very Nice Job!!

From what I was told, You decode the Tecumseh Serial number as follows, First two digits are year, Second digits are day and the letter refers to the month or plant.. I don't remember.. So Your Engine (Which Is a Tecumseh LAV series) was Likely made on April 21st 1983.

-Capstan

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm kind of new at vertical shaft stuff, but my understanding was same as bwdbrn's. On the old stuff the first digit is the year and you had to guess the decade. It changed later, but I forgot when. I'll go look for references.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With just a quick search. Wouldnt consider ehow an expert, but matches what i'd remembered.
Use the first one or two numbers to estimate the year of the engine. If there are four numbers, the engine was built before 2004 and the first digit is the last digit of the year. For example, 2 means the engine was built in 1982, 1992 or any year before 2004 that ends in two. You must estimate the decade. If there are five numbers, the engine was built in or after 2004 and the first two digits are the last two digits of the year, for example 05 for 2005.

Read more : How to Find the Year a Tecumseh Engine Was Built | eHow

·
Registered
3 Posts
What's the B&S engine number to repower your LM21?

Hi

I have a similar model lawnmower and the current 5HP gets really tired about halfway through the lawncutting.

I want to repower with B&S so my son can run it without me standing nearby with my socket set.

Can you tell me the model number on the engine. If not - do you at least have the shaft dimensions. I really want to have an engine before I do the repair. I don't want to be down for more than a week. My grass is pretty thick.

Thanks

Fiveholepete

1 - 20 of 26 Posts